TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gbt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

need help. - October 29th 2012, 09:48 PM

i feel so stupid im seventeen with a normal kind of life yet im struggling so much. i cry all the time, struggle to sleep and over think everything. im causing so many problems. i should be happy im in a really good relationship and have been for a year. weve had our major problems but weve fixed them. yeah i have family problems and my friends are all usless and dont care but people are so much worse off then me it makes no sense? i cant ever be on my own and the only time im happy is when im with my boyfriend. i red up on depression and i seem to fit in a treat but i cant talk to anyone cos they will think im being stupid like who at the age of seventeen is depressed? even the doctor i saw today just to express my worry that i wasnt right just shrugged it off, what do i do? so stuck.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: need help. - October 29th 2012, 10:07 PM

You have no reason to feel stupid. Just because you're seventeen doesn't mean you can't have depression or another mental health problem. I know I started struggling when I was around 12 and I see many people your age and younger who feel depressed. You're not too young to feel sad, no one is. And I am more than sorry that you're having to go through this and that you feel the way you do right now. You definitely don't deserve to feel this way at all. I hope you know that. I'm not going to tell you to stop crying. I think crying can be quite a good release of emotion for a lot of people. I know it can be exhausting but sometimes it gets it all out of us a bit, you know? Can make us feel slightly better. Or even, when I get really upset and cry, it makes me really tired and I often fall to sleep afterwards and when I wake up, everything seems a little brighter and better.

It can be really hard to get to sleep when we have a lot running through our minds. Have you tried doing certain things to try and help you get some sleep? Things like avoiding caffeine in the evening and at night, sleeping in a good temperature and where it's not too light, having your walls a relaxing colour etc. Even things like not going on your laptop late at night because the light from the screen can act as an artificial light making our brains thinking its daytime and therefore it's not time to go to sleep. Try having a bath before bed and having a hot milky drink. You can also try herbal things like lemon balm. And it might be good to not do any work late at night to avoid stress and not to listen to lyrics with deep meanings to you or reading complicated books late. It's been said to remove mobiles from your room over night too.

Why do you think you're causing so many problems? You should be happy, but don't gun hung up over that statement. Just focus on feeling better and reaching happiness because you can get there. You definitely deserve it.

I'm really glad that you're in a good long term relationship. I know that can really help people and I think it's really wonderful that being with him makes you happy. That's definitely something to keep in living for. All relationships have a problems here and there and it's great you've got through them together. You say you have family problems too, but you haven't gone into any detail about this. I don't know what they are but if you want to talk to us about them here, know that you're more than welcome to. We're happy to listen and we'll try to help you as best as we can. Why do you feel like your friends don't care about you?

Maybe some people's stories sound worse than yours. But it could always be worse, you know? This is happening for you. And that's just as big as what's happening to others because its affecting you in a negative way. Just because some people might have it worse doesn't mean your not entitled to feel low and sad about what's happening to you. It still affects you and that's normal and that is okay too.

Like I said at the beginning, just because you're seventeen doesn't mean nothing is wrong. It might be that you're just going through al ow stage or it might be that you do have a mental illness such as depression. We can't tell you because we're not medically trained. I know you saw a doctor and I'm sorry you feel like they just shrugged it off. I think it might be worth getting another appointment with another doctor. Just because that one didn't seem to understand doesn't mean you give up trying to get help. People can help you. Don't let the one bad experience set you back. If you're in school you could talk to a teacher or a school nurse/counsellor too. You're not alone.

You can do this. You're worth so much and I hope you soon start to get support and that you begin to feel better. You deserve happiness. Don't stop fighting until you get there.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread