TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Suicide out of curiosity? - November 3rd 2012, 01:42 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I live a pretty normal life. I'm in college, getting good grades (may be going to uni next year), have fairly wealthy parents, some friends and so on. Nothing out of the ordinary. I've got a few troubles but nothing major. Just a really boring life.

Anyway, recently I've been thinking about suicide. What actually happens after you die? I'm a naturally curious person (it's what led to me cutting, no depression, just curiosity) and it's a question that I've been obsessing over lately. I mean, if I died, I wouldn't actually realise it because wherever I'd be afterwards (even nothingness), I wouldn't be able to remember killing myself due to my brain/memories going with me. I'm assuming it'd be like waking up from a dream or something. So anyway, that line of thinking eliminates the fear of the pain of doing it, as, whilst it'd be pretty painful for a while, it wouldn't last forever. I think I could do it. It'd be over and done with and it'd be as if nothing ever happened. Saying stuff like "What would your family think/feel?!" is pointless because after I'd die, I wouldn't know/be able to remember them or anything else. Of course, this is all assuming that I don't fail, but I'm smart enough to prevent that from happening.

Heck, I could 'wake up' as a totally different person. With friends, in a different country, speaking a different language, part of a different culture or a multitude of other things. I could be an entirely different being, maybe one with powers of some kind. Maybe as part of a different world. Maybe a game world or something? I don't know, but whatever it is is bound to be better than what I'm experiencing at the moment.

TL;DR - I'm extremely bored with my life and am considering suicide. I know how I'd do it and I'd be able to go through with it without the possibility of failure.

So yeah, that's my little rant/story thing. I'm not sure what I'm expecting in terms of responses, probably just wanted to share my thoughts. Huh.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Suicide out of curiosity? - November 3rd 2012, 02:35 AM

The point of curiosity is to learn or know something. In killing yourself you are neither learning nor knowing anything, you're ending the possibility of learning or knowing anything. In fact, if you're a curious person would it not be in your best interest to not kill yourself, thereby giving yourself more opportunities to further explore other curiosities you may acquire later on in life? Wouldn't killing yourself be counterproductive as a curious person, as you'd be limiting the amount of knowledge or learning you could do?
You seem like a smart person, so logically you and I both know that killing yourself doesn't fulfill any real curiosity. And if you're still bound on doing it, I suggest you seek professional help as I would be worried that there is in fact something going on that you may not be aware about or want to admit.

Nobody kills themselves out of curiosity. It's human nature to want to live and anything beyond that is not in normal functioning.

Member since 2005

Last edited by Music; November 3rd 2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Suicide out of curiosity? - November 3rd 2012, 11:17 AM

Human beings use the concept of surivival of he fittest, we want to survive by instinct. Sure, I've attempted and I wanted to die, but I'm bottom of the food chain. I agree with Richard, killing yourself is counterproductive. PLus, who knows what is on the other side? It might be heaven and hell but you wouldn't remember your "experiment", you'd just be like, what happened? It's not like you can go back to the drawing boards, create a dozen theories and test it and find which one is right because you'd be dead. I'm sorry, but killing yourself out of meger curiousity is just a tad bit stupid, I'm not dissing you or anything, it's obvious you are a smart person, but seriously, killing yourself on the grounds of curiousity -shakes head- don't add to the list of suicides.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread