TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

making it known? - November 5th 2012, 07:50 PM

for the past few weeks i've been really struggling with my depression and i haven't been coping in the best ways (i.e. drinking) but i feel like maybe if i just tell the people that i consider my support system things would be a bit better. i just don't think that it's healthy for me to keep this all bottled up to myself and blame a bad day on "stress," or having to much to do or a certain situation because even when those pass, i always find one other little thing that upsets me...even if it's small and shouldn't. so i guess my question is, what do i do and how do i do it and how many people is to many to let in? i guess my list of people that i feel close enough to and who i could probably manage to find the words are:

my adviser, two of my other professors, one of my best friends and possibly another one of two of my closer friends.

So I could easily sit down with my adviser and one of my professors together at lunch one day and just explain everything. As I go to a small college, where professors do these things on a regular basis it's not that big of a deal or weird. I also could easily set up at time with the other professor that I really get along with!

I'm more comfortable talking to them than my friends at the moment....but I could talk to one or two of my friends as well! Otherwise I don't know what to do...because it shouldn't be this hard everyday while I'm on medication and seeing a counselor. Any thoughts?

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: making it known? - November 5th 2012, 08:09 PM

It's a very good thing that you recognise it, and also that you feel that there are people you can talk to.

It's most definitely best to tell someone, but if you're not totally sure if you want to tell all the people on your list, then...simply don't. So long as someone, or a few people, know, it will definitely feel better - even if not everyone knows.

If you want to talk any more, I'm always available on PM .

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: making it known? - November 5th 2012, 11:10 PM

Just take it one step at a time and make sure you feel comfortable. Reaching out and connecting to the people in your life is a really good way to relieve stress.

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: making it known? - November 6th 2012, 12:05 AM

I think it's really good that you can recognise that bottling it up doesn't help you and that in fact talking to people, does help you.

Remember, not everyone needs to know what's going on. You don't have to talk to everyone. Just make sure you talk to people you feel able to able to talk to and open up to. The people you can honestly, really trust and rely on. I hope that you do manage to talk to someone because even I know that talking in itself can be a really hard thing to do, but I also know that it can really help, just to have someone sit their and listen. And you deserve to feel better and it's okay for you to let someone in.

I hope you start to feel better soon :-)

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread