TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jstone Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I can't sleep and its killing me - November 30th 2012, 08:30 AM

My sleep has been so fucked up lately, I either can't sleep at all, or I go to sleep and wake up at ridiculous hours. I'm constantly feeling like I'm goin to have a nervous fucking breakdown at all times. I've started abusing double doses of NyQuil and sleeping medicine to fall asleep. I've taken like three or four doses of the liquid NyQuil and still cannot sleep. All I do is sit here and think when I'm not sleeping and that's not good. I kind of just want to finish my the bottle of NyQuil and sleeping pills tonight

Here's to you, fill the glass. Cuz the last few nights have kicked my ass.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: I can't sleep and its killing me - November 30th 2012, 01:18 PM

Hey there,

First of all I want to urge you not to take too much medication just to sleep. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but it's not good for you either way. Doses are there for a reason, going over them will just be harmful to you and it's not something you want to do, trust me.

Sleeping causes a lot of people a lot of problems. In the summer I usually end up unable to sleep too, and a lot of what you've said applies to me. My mind starts to wander, I think too much, I end up feeling anxious, annoyed and frustrated all at the same time. It sucks. But, there are ways you can sort this out, and ways that I did sort this out. Obviously, there's the chance that there's an actual medical reason behind you not being able to sleep, but I'll get on to that.

Something that helped me sleep was to read before I went to bed. I'd end up straining my eyes and they'd just want to close. Maybe you could find yourself a good book to read, read for maybe half an hour to an hour before bed time and see if that helps. Try to keep away from screens, so read an actual book not something on the computer, and try not to watch TV. Alternatively, you could try regulating your sleeping habits. If I go to bed really late then get up really late the next day for a few days in a row, my sleeping becomes awful! Try setting yourself a bed time and sticking to it, then trying to get up not too late the following morning and sticking to that. Your body will get used to it and you'll probably be able to sleep a bit better too.

Also, try to keep things quiet when you go to sleep. Sounds like a given, but having noise around you can make it harder to sleep. Maybe you could use soothing music, as this is usually okay, or shut your door and window to keep out any outside noise. Also try keeping the room dark so that you're not kept awake by any light that might get in at night time.

If none of this works and you're still having difficulty sleeping, maybe you could visit a doctor to talk about it. A lot of people have sleeping problems for a lot of different reasons, but I think this applies to you especially because your problems are causing you danger if you're overdosing on medicine just to fall sleep at night. If this continues, see a doctor and tell them and they will be able to help you out. There are sleep disorders out there, although I am not a doctor and nobody here and diagnose you. I'm also not very informed on them so I wouldn't be able to be much help there anyway, but if it worries you don't be afraid to reach out.

My main points here are, try to keep away from medicines if you're going to overdose on it, try different ways to help make sleep more of a natural thing, and if it's a bother, talk to someone. Just really try not to harm yourself over it, there are ways to sort this out, and hurting yourself is not one of them.

I hope this has helped a bit, and if you ever need to talk I'm happy to help.
Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
jstone Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't sleep and its killing me - November 30th 2012, 01:35 PM

I've tried pretty much all of that minus going to the doctor. I can't keep things quiet in my house my because I have a roommate on an entirely different shift and he is a complete asshat. He stays up all night when I have to go to sleep playing video games and I can hear it and no matter how many times I tell him to stop he does not care. And I can't just throw him out unfortunately. And I generally have a bed time to stick to, but even on nights where he's gone and I stick to that bedtime I cannot sleep all the way through the night no matter how hard I try

Here's to you, fill the glass. Cuz the last few nights have kicked my ass.

Closed Thread