TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
1100101001101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Broke my back (help please) - December 26th 2012, 06:59 AM

Maybe this is a a desperate attention seeking thing to say and maybe it's not, but I broke my back and my collarbone while snowboarding two days ago. About a month ago I got out of the hospital because I had attempted suicide. I was beginning to feel better about life and everything and then I went and broke my back. I literally can't see any point in going on... I can't do anything for myself any more and I'm in so much pain. I'm taking morphine and anti-depressants and anti-psychotics and sleeping medication and I literally feel like a zombie. I guess I'm just looking for some supportive words. Everything is literally falling apart.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Lea

Re: Broke my back (help please) - December 28th 2012, 01:59 AM

You'll be okay hon. I know it seems bleak and hopeless, but you just have to think back to the things you learned before. Also maybe speak to your doctor about the effects the medications are having on you. I'm always here if you need support! <3

-I'll Paint You A Picture, One With A Twist, I'll Paint It In Red, With The Canvas On My Wrist-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Broke my back (help please) - December 28th 2012, 02:42 AM

I'm so sorry to hear! I imagine it must be rough for you right now.

There's recovery though, as there's recovery in emotional pain as well. You can do this, always. Remember that feeling that everything was going better and you felt better about life? I can't promise when, but honey, you'll have that again. Keep the faith and hang in there, please. There's always a reason to go on. Even if you don't believe so, I know you have someone, probably lots, that love you so much and couldn't go on themselves if you decided to end your life.

Can you talk to your family about how you're feeling about this? Or a school counselor while you're physically healing. There can be emotional healing as well.

Everytime something falls apart, you always have the glue in the room. You just have to look for it. I know you can find it, I'm here to help if you need me. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Life is worth living for. You may not see that right now and I understand, but I know at a point in your life, you'll realize that. Life has meaning. It may not right now, but that can change in the blink of an eye. Don't forget that.

Stay strong. <3

~ Christabel

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Broke my back (help please) - December 28th 2012, 02:42 PM

Hey there,

I am sorry that all of this is happening to you at the moment. I think that these things that are going on in your life can definitely add to the depression that you are feeling. Is there anyone in your family that you could consider talking to about these things such as your parents, siblings, cousins, aunts or uncles. Family can be a great place to go to for support when you are dealing with medical issues; while they might not be able to understand everything that you are dealing with they can listen to you and we all need people to listen to us. Also, what about friends? Do you have any friends that you would be willing to talk to about all of this? Maybe you could invite them over to your place and you guys could talk, watch a movie and do a few other things that you are feeling up too? I think right now you need to focus on finding a good support network and go from there.

Have you talked to your doctors about trying to find a counselor? It might be a good thing to look into because a counselor might be able to help you find some coping skills to deal with everything that is going on?

I know things are tough right now but that does not mean that you cannot make it through. Life has a way of turning around unexpectedly. You just have to keep on pushing through to see it turn around. I know that can be hard to do but in the end it really can be worth it.

Please hang in there and if you need anything please feel free to PM/VM me.

P.S I have gone ahead and moved this to the Depression and Suicide Forum seeing as I think it would fit better under there.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Broke my back (help please) - December 30th 2012, 11:40 PM

Injuries heal and life goes on.

Maybe saying that sounds harsh, but at the age of 10 I had a head injury (fractured my occipital lobe, hairline fractured my jaw, bruised my left frontal lobe - classified as a traumatic brain injury, 72 hours unconcious, they thought I either wouldn't wake up, or be a vegetable. I'm fine.). Hospital was boring. Really boring. Not being allowed to play sport for a year was also incredibly boring. Having 9 months off school sucked the root, in a really big way. But I got better.

It takes a long time, it's boring as hell, it hurts, and you just don't want to continue. But you know what? Just have a sleep. Honestly. When you wake up, you might be able to put things better in perspective.

When it heals, you can go back to doing the things you enjoy doing. While it's healing, just accept that you have to have time out. Use it to something creative. Draw. Learn guitar or something. Practise card tricks.

Also, you're not alone - there's a NZ guy who's trying to qualify for the Rio olympics, who missed out on London due to injuries - he had to spend 14 months away from his sport.

Whatever you're passionate about, that's what drives you. You can't do it right now, but you will be able to do it again, and when you get to that point, you'll be glad to be alive.

And sometimes you have to be a little bit of a zombie - in all honesty I have no memory of the first couple of weeks after I had the head injury (aside from a few snippets) because I was full of morphine too. Also, this is the internet, I guarantee if you search, you will find people who have been through very similar things to you.

Just keep breathing, that's all there is to it.

Closed Thread