TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Unhappy Scared of the truth. - December 31st 2012, 01:12 AM

I know I have depresion.
I have been told a numerous amount of times.
But never diagnosed.
My councillor at school has told me to go to the doctors.
I know he will dignose me with depresion.
I'm scared.
I don't want to be diagnosed.
I don't want to be labeled.
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Scared of the truth. - December 31st 2012, 04:32 AM

Hey there,

I know that it can be really scary to be diagnosed with something. It can be scary to hear the words "you have depression" and know that it applies to you. Depression doesn't have to be who you are, and you don't have to let the label define you.

Whether or not the doctor diagnoses you with depression, use it as an experience to get help. It seems as if you have been able to reach out to people for help before, and that is awesome news! You should be proud of yourself for doing just that because it takes loads of courage. Open up to this doctor as well, because he is there to help you. He cares about you and wants to see you healthy and happy. Even if he diagnoses you, this could be the start of something new, something good.

Even though you may get a diagnosis, you can overcome it. You don't have to live with depression all your life. You have friends and family who love you, and they don't have to know you as "the depressed girl." They can know you as someone who was brave and strong, someone who didn't give up when it was hard, someone who overcame her depression.

So, don't let the diagnosis define you. Instead, use it as a motivation to get better, because getting better is possible, and I know you can. Keep your head held high and stay strong! You can do this.

-Dez

Last edited by Hypothesis.; December 31st 2012 at 04:39 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Scared of the truth. - December 31st 2012, 07:40 AM

I do believe ignorance is a bliss, in accordance to the situation. However, you yourself already know your depressed. Fuck labels, sure it might officially make people think weird stuff, but fuck that, alot of people understand depression and is quite nice towards it. I think.

once that's gone, the absolute truth is there. Only thing to do now is to face it.
However, depression can end if the stake is out. Find a way to be happy, and be sure to be vigilant for opportunities. Happy new years btw.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Scared of the truth. - December 31st 2012, 11:14 AM

Hey there, Jade

I get how it could be scary to be diagnosed. I know I have my fears of being labeled as well. But you know, as Dez said, having depression doesn't have to define you. It could actually help you. Just a suggestion but I think you should talk with the doctor and be open to discuss options that could actually make a positive improvement to your life. Don't let the fear knock out that opportunity.

Even if you are diagnosed with depression, which if you're so sure then of course you've been depressed. It doesn't mean that recovery isn't still possible. You don't always have to have that "label". Plus, friends and family will still see you as the same amazing person as always. They'll care just as much and want the best for you. Use this to motivate yourself.

Ignore it and just be you, as you would every other day. This doesn't change anything except move the fight towards happiness faster. :3

I'm here if you need me. Good luck, sweetie.

Stay strong <3

~ Christabel

Closed Thread