TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Need help. not coping... Don't know where to go for it... - January 13th 2013, 03:44 PM

I've hit a really low patch over the last 2 weeks. I'm just not coping.
The tiniest thing is triggering me of into severe depression. I hate spending time near people. barely eating. Not getting out of bed.

I've been having really bad suicidal thoughts. Every minute of every day i'm battling myself. And i can't do it anymore.

I'm scared of what i'm going to do. I need help.

But i don't know what to do, or how to get it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Need help. not coping... Don't know where to go for it... - January 13th 2013, 04:02 PM

Hey

I'm sorry to hear the past few weeks have been really hard for you. I know feeling the way you feel isn't nice and I know it's hard to get through but it's great you've come to us here for some help. Can I ask whether this is the first time you've experienced a low mood like this or is this something that happens quite often?

Recognise your triggers and start to use techniques to help you overcome those moments. Write your triggers down, understand them and find ways to over come them. But you're going to have to try different things, okay? Because different things help different people and different things help in different situations and different triggers. For example, if I'm triggered by my anxiety of being around a lot of people, I might find having half an hour on my and getting a bath helpful. Where as if I'm triggered and I'm on my own, I might find doing something with other people helpful. Experiment a little.

I get that you hate spending time when you're with people and I can relate to that. When we feel low and depressed it can often feel overwhelming to be with others. But isolating yourself won't help what so ever. Sure, know your limits and don't push yourself to be out with someone most of the day every day, but meet up with a friend for a coffee for half an hour. It might be hard, but you can do it and it might actually help you to feel a little better. Again, I think a lot of people don't want to get out of bed and don't want to eat when they feel like you do now, but doing those things, isn't going to help. You have to take responsibility and you have to help yourself. Make sure you get out of bed in the mornings. Get a small breakfast and then get a bath or a shower and take your time to get ready and eat through out the day, even if it's not as much as you usually eat. Not doing so will just make you feel a whole lot worse.

Beating suicidal thoughts can at times, seem like impossible. But know that that isn't true. These are just thoughts and as hard as they may get for you at times and as overwhelming as they can be, they can't hurt you or do anything bad towards you. They are just thoughts and although they are unpleasent, you're the only one who has control of them. You don't have to make them into actions, that's your choice. Challenge these thoughts. Honestly, you have your while life ahead of you and you still have so much to live for, so much to see and you still have to much to experience. Don't let these thoughts control you and win. Instead, you control the thoughts and you win this.

If this is an on-going problem and you often go through these phases of low moods, I suggest you see your doctor and take it from there. Because it's only been two days, your doctor might want to see you again in a few weeks to check up on you and if you are still struggling, it may be that they help you look into getting support such as counselling or therapy. And if this is on-going then I definitely suggest you speak to your doctor.

In the meantime, lean on people around you like friends and family. Sometimes when we go through a hard patch like you are going through now, just having that bit of support can really help so don't be on your own.

You can do this so stay fighting and keep your chin up,
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Need help. not coping... Don't know where to go for it... - January 13th 2013, 04:30 PM

Hey Jessie,
thanks for the reply.
I guess i should have put a bit of background info.

I've been clinically depressed for years. on high dose anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds.

I see a councillor and a psychiatrist. and am regularly monitored.

But right now i don't feel safe. I don't feel i can control myself. All i want to do is give up and end things.

It's been a long time since i've felt this unsafe around myself, this out of control. And i've ended up in hospital every time.

I just need to find a way to keep myself safe. I see my psych on thurs. but i don't know if i can keep going that long.

My bf suggested going to the hospital but i'm not even sure how that would work, or if they'd just look at me crazy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Need help. not coping... Don't know where to go for it... - January 13th 2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks for explaining that :-).

It's good you've been getting help for this. Do you feel like the medications you are currently on are helping? If you don't feel they are helping, do you you they ever did? It's good you have the support from a counsellor. I know it's Sunday today, but could you contact them tomorrow, tell them you're struggling and ask them if they can fit you in over the next few days? A bit of extra support from them right now might be a good thing.

I don't think you want things to end as such. Not everything. I think when you say you want to give up, you just want all of this stuff to stop happening. And I can get that. You need to remember how you're the only person in the world who is on control of you. You control what you do, your actions and if you act on the thoughts, no one else. And let me tell you this, whether you're at home, in hospital, have support or have no support, if you want to hurt yourself, you will always find a way. There will always be a way to harm yourself and the only way you're not going to harm yourself, is by taking that control and only you, my friend, can do that.

You could take yourself to A&E. They might put you in contact with the crisis team and if you want that support, you can accept it. I do think you could contact the crisis team yourself however, and you could probably find the number online too, pretty easy, huh?

You don't have a breaking point. You'll realise that once you're into the latest part of recovery. You can keep going for as long as you allow yourself to keep going. The only person who can stop you from having the future, is you.

You can do this, it is possible. <3

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Need help. not coping... Don't know where to go for it... - January 14th 2013, 03:51 AM

Hey, Sammy.

Jessie gave the best advice and support, she's amazing like that. I just wanted to post and say that I'm here if you need to talk. Feel free to PM/VM me and I'd be happy to listen.

Stay Strong <3

~ Christabel

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread