TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jen

When? - January 18th 2013, 10:15 AM

when people say different mean things to you . do you take it as a joke or serious?

just done...

Last edited by Palmolive; January 18th 2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Removing prefix
  Send a message via Yahoo to I love my baby Forever Send a message via Skype™ to I love my baby Forever 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: When? - January 18th 2013, 10:38 AM

Hey there,

For me, that depends. For instance, is the person a complete stranger or a close friend, and even then I have to read their expression. Friend or not a friend, if they look like they are mad at me, then I know that I am going to take whatever mean thing they say as a serious thing. But, if they're my friend, sometimes I'll know that they're joking around with me. They know what buttons they shouldn't press with me when they're joking around and for the most part I know what buttons I shouldn't press with them. We respect those boundaries but still end up joking about stuff that teachers and other people around may be suspicious about.

But, if someone is saying things to you that you don't like or don't feel comfortable with you don't have to take it as a joke just because they are your friend. If they are saying something you really don't like or that sort of upsets you, tell them, so that way they know that you don't find that specific topic funny and they can stop doing it. If it is a stranger, try to keep your head high and ignore what they have to say. They're not worth your time anyway.

I wish you the best!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: When? - January 18th 2013, 12:53 PM

It depends on the person, really.

For instance, I know a kid that says "mean" things all the time to everyone. It's just what he does, sometimes it's funny and sometimes he crosses the line. The boundaries aren't very clear with him. Depending on my mood, he can really get on my nerves. But I always take it as a joke, always. Because if you get annoyed, he'll continue. Mostly, I play along.

The way I see it, there isn't any point in getting upset when someone says something mean. If they're trying to be funny, I go along with it. It can create some really funny sometimes sarcastic conversations. If someone has the intention of being mean, I just ignore it because things are only an insult if you let them be. My happiness comes first, and I'm not going to listen to something that makes me unhappy.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jen

Re: When? - January 18th 2013, 08:04 PM

i dont know honest if i can take it as a joke or not

just done...
  Send a message via Yahoo to I love my baby Forever Send a message via Skype™ to I love my baby Forever 
Closed Thread