TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Unhappy Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 27th 2013, 08:03 PM

I'm doing a Performing Arts course in college that I started in September, and there's so many things I like about it - mostly my classmates. However recently my self-esteem has plummeted and it's so hard to keep going, especially because confidence is about 50% of acting.

I feel almost every day like I'm not good enough to be in the course. Everyone else is better than me - nearly all of them have that special natural talent for acting that I don't really have. I've been acting since I was twelve and some of them have no experience and are still better than me. Even though I try to push past this it's affecting my self-esteem every day. What doesn't help is I've always been a perfectionist so if I'm not doing very well I feel like I'm doing terribly.

We're doing a big play with the second and third years in March and although first-years don't officially get parts, most people in my class have a minor part and are understudying a major character - I have two lines and that's it. I don't mind having a small part at all but it's the knowing that everyone else is doing better that makes me want to curl into a ball every morning and not have to go in.

How do I deal with this??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ajkid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 27th 2013, 08:36 PM

I'm a runner and definitely sub-par (to say the least). what helps make me feel better about my ability is comparing myself to non runners. even though I'm no good as a runner, I'm still better than people that aren't runners. so try comparing your acting to someone like me, that can't express the least bit of emotion even if I'm trying lol. idk if that will work for you but it works for me so I hope it helps!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 27th 2013, 09:12 PM

Thanks... I try to do that sometimes, it's just when I'm surrounded all day every day by good actors and people I feel are a lot better than me it gets tough...

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Breathe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Natalia

Re: Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 28th 2013, 12:02 AM

I'm into acting as well.
When I first started taking classes I was a nervous wreck.
Everyone was prettier and better then me.
But after some time I realized that I am good enough.
And you are too!
Everyone has those times when they think that they suck and there not good enough.
But that's not true.
It does take time to build up to bigger roles.
I was an extra in a movie lol.
It comes natural to everyone once you get comfortable with yourself.
Just relax and just be yourself. I'm sure you'll be ok

Hope I helped a little

Stay Strong <3

Sticks and stones break your bones,
I know what you're feeling
Words like those won't steal your glow,
you're one in a million" ~ Britt Nicole
  Send a message via Skype™ to Just Breathe 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
RondoSwag Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 28th 2013, 03:39 AM

I took an acting class last semester. Let me preface this by saying that it doesn't matter what other people think about you. They have no place in their heart or mind to judge you based on your acting skills or anything. Acting is fun and if you enjoy it just go into it with all your heart and others will recognize that as something beautiful. Look, I'm not even close to the best actor out there but I had an amazing time in the class because I know my worth isn't in other people's minds.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BreezeOracle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 29th 2013, 07:34 AM

Your condition seems like a severe complex of inferiority; the more you try to ward it off the more it can mentally harass you. I have been through this phase - and let me tell you, it is one heck of a killer phase!

You need loads of time for this; just accept what you are feeling (just for the moment), and I assure you it'll subside. This shall happen when you try working harder, and improve on your acting. Once your confidence improves this complex shall diminish.

But mind you, it takes time - upto a year or two.

Data encryption techniques that will suite your entity

(#7 (permalink)) Old
liberty9331 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Libby

Re: Coping with low self-esteem in acting class.. - January 30th 2013, 10:58 PM

Hey bitesize.

I am a professional actor, who also has confidence issues. I usually find acting to be therapeutic, because I get to be someone else for a while. I get to be really open with feelings that I otherwise wouldn't be. Like if I'm in a scene where I have to be really angry, I'm able to express anger because I'm not playing myself, I'm playing someone else. Same goes with being sad. Or even being silly. Because I'm playing someone else, I don't get embarrassed or self-conscious. Remember that in a scene, you're not you. Truthfully, acting doesn't require much self-confidence, as long as you don't mind people looking at you. And if that thought bothers you, remember they're looking at the character, not you.

Like I said earlier, if you can remember these things, acting can be very therapeutic. If I'm playing a character, and the character has to cry in a scene, I'll think about something that made ME sad (and maybe I never fully expressed myself about it) and I'll be able to cry, uninhibited. The key to being a "good" actor is to make things seem real and authentic. So if you really are sad while portraying sadness through a character, it will make your performance seem more organic (which of course, it is).

Acting can be wonderful for people with self-confidence issues. Not that there is anything "wrong" with any one of us, but it's nice to get away from reality and be somebody else for a while.

Hope I helped!

~Libby

Closed Thread