TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aesir645 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: PJ

Why is he so much better than me? - January 30th 2013, 11:00 PM

Everything about him is so much better than me. I drive a 2004 RAV4, not currently after some bitch ran her red light. He drives a 2012 Nissan Altima, a push-to-start car. He is, for a lack of a better word, very handsome. He's the perfect son. Smart, a heartbreaker, extremely intelligent, athletic and wealthy. I am nowhere close. I'm overweight and ugly. Whenever a friend sees my baby pictures, I always get, "What happened?" I have absolutely no confidence. People say I'm smart but no where near him. But I work hard, he sleeps in class and is ranked 26 out of 485. I stay up, study, do homework and I'm ranked 160 out of 485. Every time I do something good and feel proud of myself, he comes and blows me out of the water. I get an 80, he gets a 100. I get a 3 out of 5 on the AP exam, he gets a 4 out of 5. Everything I try to do, he's so much better. I try not to compare myself to him but its hard. I'm just under him in everything. It's like comparing a beat up pick up to an Aventador. It just doesn't compare. He's never really had to work. He has no chores, no responsibilities(youngest) he does whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Why is he so much better than me? - February 2nd 2013, 09:42 AM

It's hard having siblings like that, it really is. Having a few siblings, our abilities are more spread out - my elder brother is the supermega intelligent one, my younger brother is the really rich one, and my younger sister is the good looking one - then there's me.

There are actually loads of people in similar situations to you. The hard part is that while you feel overshadowed by a sibling, it's hard to see your own worth. For example, you're staying up and studying - when it gets to university and college, knowing how to study is really important. There are countless students who breeze through high school and then struggle with higher education because they never learned to study properly. If you're maintaining a solid average with how you're studying now, then that's a really good thing! It will serve you well in the future.

As for the cars - well really, it's a car, the fact that you're young and yet have your own car is an achievement in and of itself. Of my siblings, I was first to get a car, at the age of 23. Nobody in my family has a vehicle more recent than 2000. But it's cool - you still HAVE a car, you still have a way to get around and be independent of your parents.

The difference between you and your brother is, that once you get out in the real world, things are likely going to work out well for you - you know how to study and how to cope with responsibility, which are things that a lot of young adults struggle with. Because you already have those abilities, you'll cope well, and you will be successful!

Perhaps you need to consider doing things your brother is unlikely to get involved in, that way you will be able to see yourself as more of an individual, and those you meet will value you based on your own virtues and not those of your brother. It's important for you to be seen as a person with your own goals and values and achievements, rather than simply somebody's brother - so get out there and find something he'll be too lazy to be good at!

Good luck, I genuinely feel for your situation, and I hope you can find some way to show yourself how good you really are at things. =]

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread