TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HurtAndLost Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elissa

Help - March 11th 2013, 08:15 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I haven't been on in a while but I really feel I need help. I'm 17 and by now I thought things would have been better now but they are worse. The cutting is bad, I think about suicide everyday. It's horrible. I just really don't know what to do anymore. I've retired to kill myself before but I always wake up. I'm so so lost and confused right now. Please help.

~Elissa Renee~ If I die today what would u do tomorrow?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Help - March 11th 2013, 01:21 PM

Hi, Elissa. Beautiful name.

I'm really sorry about how you're feeling. You have to keep in mind that things do and can get better as life goes on. It won't always be this way. Suicide may seem like the easy way out but it's not, at all. It not only hurts you, but everyone around you and it destroys your future. There's so many things in the future worth living for. I know that's hard to see, but it's true. I mean, you've got so many experiences that would be a shame to throw away. Like experiencing life away from home, dating, marriage, children, there's so many amazing moments worth holding on for that you deserve the chance to experience and have. Later in life, I truly believe that you'll be thankful you never went through with suicide. When you have a child that looks in your eyes and smiles in comfort, that's just, you'll be thankful. I hope you realize how much life has to offer because you deserve all those nice things in the future. You believe to realize that life can be great and that happiness is possible. =)

Can I ask what's wrong in your life to make you feel so sad? I can always listen. Are there any personal relationships you're having trouble with?

To feel better, you have to wanna recover. Which is easier said than done. So have you talked to anyone about this? A support system when you're depressed is the best thing for you, even if you don't feel like talking to anyone. Maybe talk to your parents, friends, siblings, relatives, counselor or a therapist. Anything is worth trying. And if it can be too difficult to tell someone, then you could write it in a letter or E-Mail and give it to them.

When you're depressed, all you wanna do is sit there and curl up and do nothing, right? Well sometimes processing emotions can be good, but for so long, it can be bad for you emotionally. I think it may help if you get out of a routine and go do something different, do something fun, get out of the house, do something new. Like volunteer work, go biking, play sports, go to the cinema, go out to eat, go shopping, go look around at different things in the mall, or even get a side-job if you don't have one to occupy yourself and do something different if you aren't too busy. You could watch movies, tv, listen to music, play games, draw, paint, take up a new hobby such as beading or knitting, arts and crafts. Make little houses out of glue and small pieces of wood. And writing your feelings down in a journal can help express yourself, write what you feel, even if it doesn't make any sense. Or write poems or short stories that relate to your feelings. Treat yourself to your favorite snack, take a warm bath. Do something that relaxes you. =) Some other things can affect your mood as well, such as a healthy diet and enough sleep, stress etc... So pay attention to those, take care of yourself.

Going on walks can be very refreshing and help clear your mind, so it's best to do that everyday. Sunlight increases a natural chemical in your brain that induces positive emotions. So keeping your window shades open while you're in the house and doing outside activities during the day may help. I must add that pets make me feel better. If you don't already have one, maybe get a puppy or kitten, something small and fluffy? I hold my kitten and she purrs, rubs on my face then cuddles with me. It's really comforting, pets are a nice companionship and can make you feel less lonely. =)

Another thing that may help. When you're depressed, a blank wall doesn't help. I think it'd be great if you painted your room kinda a bright happy color and put cute or beautiful posters up, get a pretty nature or animal calender. You could also put up photos of you with family or something up, and put inspiring quotes on your mirror and pin some to your door. Just something to make you smile when you go in there. A colorful and cozy bed sheet set would also be great. Anything could contribute, just the little things that make you happy.

Self-Harm is a bad coping mechanism because it makes everything more difficult. It does away with healthy mechanisms and Self-Harm makes you begin to feel more guilty each time you do it and brings more negative feelings into the picture and gets addictive. Again, this is something you have to choose to try and recover before doing it. I think it'd be wise to also talk to someone about this as well. In aid to recovery, you should read through the Self-Harm Alternatives list if you haven't already.

Hope I helped a bit. If you feel suicidal, please call someone, tell someone or call a suicide hotline. And I wanna add that things do get better, even though it's been awhile and you don't believe so now, it still has all the time in the world to get better. You can't get up. All this makes you stronger. There's a rainbow after the storm, please hang in there because you are worth it and you can do this, I know you can. You're too far in to give up now, hun. I'm here if you need someone to talk to. Feel free to PM/VM me anytime.

Stay Strong <3

Closed Thread