TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.Madison. Offline
Dreams can come true.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Madison

You Put The Label - March 16th 2013, 02:28 PM

So I have Ben going to counseling for a while. Its hasn't been working. I am beginning to become more and more depressed. The episodes of depression are getting worse. I had to meet with a psychiatrist March 6 for a report or something. A check up to see if counseling is working. She said since things aren't getting better and are a tually getting worse since starting counseling she would give counseling another month to see if things begin to get better. If my depression do not begin to get better then we would try antidepressants. I'm not so sure if I want to take the medication because everyone that ai know that took antidepressants say that the time that they took the medication they could not remember the period of time. But the psychiatrist says that they could help me and I will not have really bad episodes of depression and I will not have any or a lit of bad thoughts of hurting myself. I just dont know what to do. Should I agree to take the medication when I go back on the 3rd of April or should I refuse?

Smile and let everyone know that today, You're a lot stronger than you were yesterday. (:

-Madison

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: You Put The Label - March 17th 2013, 12:11 AM

Everyone reacts differently to medication. Your body is not the same as anyone else's so nobody could tell you what any medication will do to you, we can tell you what might happen but that's about it.
I've been on quite a few antidepressants and I've never ever had memory problems from them, I've known quite a few people who have taken or are on antidepressants and none of them have had horrible memory problems.
I would take what anyone you know says with a grain of salt, and if your psychiatrist thinks that medication might help you I think you should give it a try. If things don't work out with medication because of side effects or you just don't like it you can always come off of it. It's not like you have to keep doing it forever once you agree to it.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: You Put The Label - March 19th 2013, 03:39 AM

Hey, Madison.

I agree with Richard completely. If your psychiatrist thinks it may help, it's definitely worth trying. And if it doesn't work out, let your psychiatrist know. Then that will have been an option that you've tried. I hope it works out for you though.

Sorry about what you're going through. Feel free to message me anytime if you need someone to talk to!

Stay Strong <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: You Put The Label - March 20th 2013, 10:45 AM

Hi there.

Being in therapy/counseling can take time to start working and it can take different lengths of time for different people so don't give up on it yet. Even more so, there are so man different types of therapy too. I've been in therapy/counseling for five years now. I've tried a few different types and now I'm on the waiting list for psychology. You have to try new and different things so like I said, don't give up just yet, okay?

Also counseling/therapy is hard. Don't expect to go to appointments and to come out of them feeling better. And don't expect to be in counseling for several weeks and for it all to be better. Its a hard thing to go through because you're finally going to have to talk about things that really hurt and upset you and you're going to have to face some really difficult situations so it's going to make you feel worse for a while but hopefully in the long run, it will make you feel better.

Being on medication might help. Often people find having therapy and being on an anti-depresent helpful so it's something to look into and think about. And if it doesn't help, it may be the dose needs changing or you may be able to try another one, so don't give up on completely.

Stay smiling,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread