TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

I don't know how to help my friend - March 29th 2013, 07:27 PM

Someone please help me I don't know how to help my friend anymore he always talks about wanting to kill him self and usually I can calm him down but I'm worried I won't be able to and he actually will. How can I help him please please help me

sometimes you gotta fall before you fly.
I believe that we all fall down sometimes

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I don't know how to help my friend - March 29th 2013, 07:43 PM

Hi there Kayla.

I want to start by saying that you sound like a wonderful friend and they're lucky to have you supporting them through this. It sounds like they're going through a very rough time and I'm glad you've been able to come to us here for some advice.

At the end of the day, all you can do is offer to be there for your friend. Maybe that means you talking to them and letting them talk to you, to express how they feel and to generally get what's going on for them of their chest. Or maybe you being there for them would you both just spending a bit of time together doing something nice and distracting your friend, you know? Talk to your friend, see what they feel will help them the most. If your friend doesn't have any support from any professionals (psychiatric nurse, school counselor etc), maybe it would be worth bringing this idea up with your friend? You could advise them to make a doctors appointment or make an appointment with a school nurse/counselor and you could offer to go with them and support them too.

If you are seriously worried about your friends safety because of the thoughts they are having about harming/killing themselves, then I suggest you think about telling a trusted adult such as your parents, their parents, a teacher or even someone such as the police. All of these people are there to help your friend through this hard tome and all of these people can help to keep your friend safe through what they are going through (more so if they are under eighteen). Of course your friend may be upset and even angry/annoyed with you at first, but when things have calmed down, I think you're friend will be able to see and understand why you told someone about the worries you have if that is what you decide to do.

Just remember, ultimately, they are in control of their own actions not you. While yourself and others can be there to support your friend, they have to take responsibility for themselves too - they have to work with you, you know? Also, don't take too much on yourself in this and talk to people yourself too. Going through this with a friend can be really hard so it's important that you also have support in this as well, alright?

I hope things start to look up for your friend. Take good care.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: I don't know how to help my friend - March 30th 2013, 04:07 AM

Hi, Kayla.

Jessie is right about those things, it'll really help your friend just doing that but remember to take care of yourself and don't hold yourself responsible for everything. You could also send your friend letters with inspiring quotes in the mail that are handwritten. It's more personal and thoughtful handwritten.

Hope your friend feels better! He's lucky to have such an amazing friend who cares so much. Good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: I don't know how to help my friend - March 30th 2013, 05:46 AM

I agree with above all you can do is be a friend and tell someone if you really think they're going to commit sucide. Just try to give them the tools and esteem and friendship necessary to make the right choices.

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

Closed Thread