TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Suicidal and plotting death
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Heather

I want to die - March 30th 2013, 03:59 AM

I'm thirteen and have been thinking of suicide for months now. The only person holding me back left because I told him my problems. And now this other guy who I hate keeps threatening to tell everyone that I self harm. What should I do? Because my only option appears to be suicide right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: I want to die - March 30th 2013, 04:40 AM

Hi, Heather.

Darling... I am so sorry. You're 13 and you've got your whole life ahead of you. Suicide should never be an option. It ends your life and chances for things to get better, to be happy. And it hurts all those people around you (even if you think nobody cares, because that's not true). Honey, I know things must be really difficult for you, I'm sorry for that but really... You've got so much life to live, so many things to do. Like dating, experiencing life away from home, a job, marriage, children, and all those amazing moments and things you'll have inbetween that. Suicide isn't worth it. You can create life, and be happy, isn't that amazing? It's hard, and you have to make the choice of recovery but it's so worth it in the end. You don't deserve to be going through this.

People can be quite mean... So I'm sorry about that. There's really not much to do about the guy threatening to tell everybody about that. Just stay quiet and hopefully he's just trying to scare you. In the meantime, it might be really beneficial for you to reach out to someone else, such as your parents, siblings, relatives, friends, teacher, school counselor possibly? Anyone, even a hotline. Support is really important because nobody should go through this alone. If telling someone is rather difficult (understandable), you can write it in a note/letter and give to them. Makes it easier than talking to them face to face. There's also a couple features here that may help. Such as HelpLINK and LiveHelp when it's online.

Self-Harm isn't good either, obviously. I used to Self-Harm and I'm trying to recover now. When you Self-Harm, it releases endorphins which creates the feel good feeling, which makes it addictive so it's really bad for you. Plus, it's a unhealthy coping mechanism that drowns out the healthy ones and eventually, it starts making you feel guilty and stops "working". Evidently it brings more negative feelings into the picture and makes everything harder. That's why it's really good to go ahead and try your best to recover if you can. And accept relapses because they happen. There's the Butterfly Project which is explained here and there's the Self-Harm Alternatives list which has many things to do when you feel like Self-Harming. Not everything works and different things work for different people so it's best to try out several of them till you find a few that work for you. There's some pretty unique things on that list. But yeah, I'm almost 3 weeks free and I feel better not having to rely on Self-Harm, it's definitely worth recovery.

Some things you could do is writing your feelings down in a journal or writing poems/short stories that relate to your life and feelings. It's a good way to express yourself. Or you could draw, paint, listen to music, play games, watch tv/movies, go for a refreshing walk, go bike riding, cuddle a pet, hang out with friends/family, play board games, go out to eat, go see a movie, and call up someone when you feel upset and take a nap when you feel upset, to refresh yourself. Ah, and take nice warm, relaxing baths. Taking up a new hobby could also cheer you up, such as arts and crafts, beading, knitting, anything new. Explore. Oh and the sun increases a natural chemical in your brain that helps induce more positive emotions so get as much sunlight as possible.

Remember that you're always worth it and with hard work, you can get through this. You're a strong person and everything you're going through right now will make you so much stronger for the future. Every minute, you gain strength. You can do this! The rainbow comes after the storm and hey, without the darkness we couldn't see the stars, right? Feel free to message me anytime if you need someone to talk to, I can definitely listen. Hang in there you beautiful person.

Stay Strong, Heather <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: I want to die - March 30th 2013, 04:57 AM

You have more options than you think. When you feel horrible you can always try expressing yourself through poetry or art. Listening to music even sad depressing music can help. When I feel like hell I listen to Johnny cash's song Pain. It helps. You could trying excersizing because that releases the same endorphins as self harm. I'm avaliable if you need to talk and I love to help and the helplinks are anonamous if you feel unconfortable talking to someone personally. Life is crap sometimes I understand and i'm sorry but it's the pain you feel now that shapes you into the wonderful and amazing individual your gonna turn out to be. If you give that up now your losing the chance to be that person. You can get through this and when you do your going to see that you can get through anything. PM/VM anytime.

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

Closed Thread