TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

not sure what to do. - April 1st 2013, 02:25 AM

this whole depression thing has really been taken a lot of me lately, mostly because i'm basically battling it by myself. I really haven't let anybody around me know what is going, but that's more so because I really don't want my close friends know. Mostly, because they didn't handle it to well last time and I don't want to go through all of that drama again, because it only makes it worse.

The thing is, with my friend group, we have a very close knit group of friends and then a larger group of friends that we know, but we aren't all as close too. If that makes any sense, I'd almost feel more comfortable reaching out to one of them because if they don't handle it well, it's kind of an "oh well," moment versus when my close friends don't handle it well, all hell breaks loose. I did tell one of my other friends that I'm not super close to about my anxiety, but didn't mention anything about my depression/self-harm, which is what I'm majorly struggling with.

I guess what I'm wondering is would it be a horrible idea to reach out to one of them? And if not, how do I bring something this serious up? I've never been good at talking, especially about important things that involve me.

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: not sure what to do. - April 1st 2013, 02:35 AM

It's definitely not a horrible idea to reach out to them (or us, lol). I did so when I was depressed and aside from the awkward "how's your depression?" questions I still get from a similarly awkward friend, it was a good idea. Do you know why you're depressed? That might help you bring it up, especially if it's relationship-related or something else your friends can relate to. "My 5-HT and VMAT neurotransmitter transporters are messed up" doesn't really inspire empathy, lol.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: not sure what to do. - April 1st 2013, 02:46 AM

I have the same problem I always thought if I let people in they'd freak out and hurt me. I was tentative and went slowly but eventually I got to a point of talking to my friends about most of my feelings. I'm still uncomfortable and nervous but I definetly feel closer to them and it's a great feeling.

Find a really close friend and go take it slowly bit by bit trusting more and more each time. It's not a horrible idea at all. It's worth the risk and if something happens and they do flip out then they weren't a very good friend anyway and we are all here for you.

PM/VM me if you want to practice or try out what your gonna say.

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: not sure what to do. - April 1st 2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
It's definitely not a horrible idea to reach out to them (or us, lol). I did so when I was depressed and aside from the awkward "how's your depression?" questions I still get from a similarly awkward friend, it was a good idea. Do you know why you're depressed? That might help you bring it up, especially if it's relationship-related or something else your friends can relate to. "My 5-HT and VMAT neurotransmitter transporters are messed up" doesn't really inspire empathy, lol.
Haha. "My 5-HT and VMAT neurotransmitter transporters are messed up" that was absolutely hilarious!

I'm honestly not to sure why I'm depressed other than the fact that I get stressed out and that leads me into depression and all of that good stuff. So I don't exactly know how I would bring that up!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: not sure what to do. - April 2nd 2013, 12:58 PM

Well you could explain that you were stressed out over things and it just sorta led to depression. If you want, you could say it in a note to make it easier. By the way, I just wanted to say that I can relate to being scared to tell friends your feelings. I've had some people get sad and it just made me feel worse, but sometimes it can go the opposite and you can find out that you have someone who'll listen and try to help. You don't know till you try.

Closed Thread