TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Alana M. F.

Should I stop? - April 15th 2013, 09:50 AM

I've been dealing with depression again... and I've found that listening to music actually helps me to cope! It's nothing that people in my class likes... It's bands like Black Veil Brides, Motionless in White, Snow White's Poison Bite, Icon for Hire, etc. Anyways... I know what you're thinking; 'No, why would you stop? You found a way to cope!' Well here's the thing... Can a person be... addicted... to music? I can't think anymore! As soon as I get home from school EVERY DAY I go to YouTube and instantly start playing music, then I listen to music all afternoon until I go to sleep. It's harder to listen to what people are saying now... I can't concentrate in school... All I can focus on is the sweet, beautiful music. But if I stop listening to music so much, I'll go back into self harm... I don't know which is healthier?

Andy Biersack

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Should I stop? - April 15th 2013, 09:51 AM

I think you need to find some balance between school and music.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MBach528 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Just call me MB

Re: Should I stop? - April 15th 2013, 11:05 AM

Music is a great, healthy way to cope. I'm proud of you for funding something that works for you. However, you do need to do other things besides listen to music. You still need to get your work done and try to lead a fairly suicidal life. I wouldn't suggest you stop listening to music all together, because it helps. But you should try and find some balance between music and your life.

Good luck. If you need to talk, please PM or VM me. Is be happy to help you.

"One person can make a difference and everyone should try."
Live Help Operator since June 1st, 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Should I stop? - April 15th 2013, 11:30 AM

Hi there, Alana!

Sorry you've been dealing with depression and self-harm, those are some pretty hard things. I think it's really good you've found a way to cope because music really is an amazing way to deal with problems and distract yourself with. Although with most things, sometimes you can get a little too into it. Such as games; sometimes you can play games to escape from your life and try to cope but it can get addictive, same with music. Happened to me once, I couldn't focus on anything.

As Jordi and MB said, it's important to try and find a balance. Keep music in your life, it can really help as you found out but slowly try to detach yourself from music when you have to do homework. If you want, you could set times that you have to do homework or when you're at school or doing other important things and make it where you can't listen to music. Then you could set other times where you could take personal time just to listen to music. It's all about balance.

I'm here if you need me.

Closed Thread