TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 12:35 AM

So far I've had two therapists. I thought I was really comfortable with this one but now I'm not too sure. Last session, she called me a hopelessly depressed attention seeking teenager. That really upset me.

I don't know how to act tomorrow. I'm still angry that she'd think that. Now I'm hesitant to tell her anything. Do any of you have words of advice or encouragement?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
justdatdude Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jack

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 01:38 AM

BE NICE AND SHE WILL BE ASWELL

N/A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 02:00 AM

You can report her behaviour to the state licensing board, assuming you're in the united states. If she's saying that to clients, she needs to lose her license, because that's bullying. I'm also very sorry that she said that to you, because nobody deserves to hear that.
Also I can assure you that you are neither "hopelessly depressed" nor an "attention seeking teenager." You're getting help, and that's something you should be praised for, because you're taking that initiative.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Orchard Ghost View Post
You can report her behaviour to the state licensing board, assuming you're in the united states. If she's saying that to clients, she needs to lose her license, because that's bullying. I'm also very sorry that she said that to you, because nobody deserves to hear that.
Also I can assure you that you are neither "hopelessly depressed" nor an "attention seeking teenager." You're getting help, and that's something you should be praised for, because you're taking that initiative.
Thanks

She also called me self-pitying, and she got racial in the discussion. I mean, maybe she said it to just push my buttons but it really angered me.

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 02:13 AM

That's really rude for her to say. I think you should report her for sure and look into getting another therapist. As Katie said, you're getting help which is brave. You're still trying even though things are hard, it just makes you a stronger person, Cassie. You deserve a better and more understanding therapist so don't be scared to get another therapist, not all of them are like this.

Since you have to go tomorrow, if you don't report it or tell your mom yet then I suggest telling your therapist how much that hurt you.

Stay Strong <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 03:23 PM

I stayed up with anxiety for nothing. I woke up at ten (my appointment was at nine thirty.) I walked into the kitchen to see what was up and my mom screamed at me, "Your brother's medication made him tired last night and I couldn't wake him up. I just got him to school. Your other brother has been coughing all night, didn't you hear?"

Coughing? Big deal. I have gone to school with anxiety so bad I had to try not to throw up. This is, like the fourth appointment that has been canceled because of my stupid brothers! (Not in a row, though.) I am tired of the screaming and banging walls and the arguing and the public embarrassment. I'm tired of my fucking life. I know I sound selfish or whatever, but I'm fucking tired. I should just tell her not to reschedule, ever.

Now I'm going to have to stay in my room all day because my mother is so angry.

Sorry for complaining.

Thanks for the replies. I was planning to ask her about it.

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MBach528 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Just call me MB

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 04:18 PM

No matter why she said it, whether it was to push your buttons, or she really meant it, it's still not right. You definitely should report it! She is obviously not a good therapist. If you don't know where to report her or how to, talk to one of your parents. They could help you.

Another thing I suggest is you tell her how much what she said hurt you. Don't be afraid to tell her how you feel.

Good luck, sweetie. I'm here for you if you need me.

"One person can make a difference and everyone should try."
Live Help Operator since June 1st, 2013

(#8 (permalink)) Old
liberty9331 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Libby

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 05:13 PM

Clearly, this person is not a good therapist. Saying all the things she said are not in any way therapeutic. I would recommend finding another one.

I am currently with my third therapist, and I think I've finally found one that will be helpful to me. Sometimes, finding the right therapist takes time. I found my current one through Psychology Today: http://therapists.psychologytoday.co...rof_search.php

If I were you, I would tell her that you are not seeking attention, you are seeking help. Mention that you are nervous about opening up to people and that you feel you would benefit better if she was more open to what you have to say.

If there is no improvement with how she treats you and the things she says, I REALLY would find another therapist. There is no point in risking her doing you more harm than good.

Don't lose hope. There are people out there who can help you! It will be worth the effort in the end. Hang in there! Those of us here on teenhelp are behind you!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all of the replies. My appointment had to be canceled but I'll definitely talk to her about it next time. I am moving, so I'll have to get a new therapist anyway.

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 29th 2013, 10:28 PM

Sounds like your therapist might need to see a professional herself...

I have no problem with mental health professionals being honest when warranted. But the things she's saying to you are useless and hurtful and don't encourage you to grow or change in any way. I hate when "healthy" people make value judgements about others they don't understand.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Nervous for therapy tomorrow - April 30th 2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectlyImperfect View Post
I stayed up with anxiety for nothing. I woke up at ten (my appointment was at nine thirty.) I walked into the kitchen to see what was up and my mom screamed at me, "Your brother's medication made him tired last night and I couldn't wake him up. I just got him to school. Your other brother has been coughing all night, didn't you hear?"

Coughing? Big deal. I have gone to school with anxiety so bad I had to try not to throw up. This is, like the fourth appointment that has been canceled because of my stupid brothers! (Not in a row, though.) I am tired of the screaming and banging walls and the arguing and the public embarrassment. I'm tired of my fucking life. I know I sound selfish or whatever, but I'm fucking tired. I should just tell her not to reschedule, ever.

Now I'm going to have to stay in my room all day because my mother is so angry.

Sorry for complaining.

Thanks for the replies. I was planning to ask her about it.
Don't apologize for complaining, Cassie. Venting is healthy, sometimes when you're upset it's good to get it off your chest.

I'm really sorry about your brothers. It's not selfish. I can understand how that'd get you frustrated. My brother argues with mom over the smallest things which gets her mad, guess who she takes it out on? I can relate, hun. I know how upsetting it can be. So I'm sorry you go through that. If I knew you in real life I'd invite you over to my house when things get bad, I'd love to have you!

I hope you can get a better therapist soon. <3

Closed Thread