TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Points: 8,348, Level: 13 Points: 8,348, Level: 13 Points: 8,348, Level: 13

Diganosed with Depression - May 9th 2013, 01:15 AM

After my counsellor at school booked an appointment for me to see my doctor last Friday, to discuss everything that has been going on and how I have been feeling, she diagnosed me with depression.

I knew that I had depression, I didn't want to go to the doctors, because then it would be official. I would officially have a label. I would officially be 'the depressed girl'

The doctor has also given me sleeping tablets for my insomnia, but they are not addictive and if you overdose on them, the results wouldn't be anything severe.

I suppose that know its been diagnosed, it just reminds me that I am messed up. I am in denial about the whole thing. I hate it. It makes me more depressed.

"Smiling is only a symptom of happiness and can be faked."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Diganosed with Depression - May 9th 2013, 01:41 AM

Hey Jade,

First of all, being diagnosed with depression does not necessarily mean you have clinical major depressive disorder. It's not diabetes or cancer, it's a subjective assessment by someone who doesn't really know what they're diagnosing in most cases (school counselor? general practitioner? please...) Don't feel like you have to "live the label" or that you're hiding anything by not telling others you "have depression." There's been a recent push to qualify MDD as a physical/neurological illness that is in many cases completely unfounded. Of course, if being diagnosed helps you receive treatment or care, go for it. What's important is that you are healthy and whole, not that you meet or don't meet criteria on a clinical inventory. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

-Ghoost

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Diganosed with Depression - May 9th 2013, 02:09 AM

Hey, lovely!

You don't have to live by this. Being diagnosed will help you get treatment. You can tell who you wanna tell and you aren't hiding anything by not telling someone. Also, recovery in depression is possible so you aren't labeled and if you see it that way, you won't be labeled forever. You're beautiful You. So you can surely get through this, Jade. You've been through a lot.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: Diganosed with Depression - May 9th 2013, 12:49 PM

MDD != Depression

Depression is a set of symptoms, mental constructs and potentially brain chemistry being all buggered up.

Yes, some people see it as a label. Some people use it as a crutch.

Don't be some people. Be extraordinary.

Getting a diagnosis can help, because it means you can access some focussed treatment. I'm guessing you're not particularly old? If so, be cautious about someone offering you antidepressant medication as a panacea. Research suggests that in young people, this sort of drug can have side effects including suicidal thoughts/behaviour. Sucks, eh?

The good news? There is also strong evidence for certain forms of therapy (primarily CBT) working wonders helping with depression. So if you get someone who knows what they're doing, and there are a lot of them out there, then you will be able to get plenty of useful help.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Diganosed with Depression - May 9th 2013, 03:55 PM

^ Generally good points. To clarify, my point was not that medically-diagnosed depression isn't MDD, but that therapists and physicians often jump to conclusions when making that diagnosis. When I was diagnosed with MDD, it took a nurse practitioner 15 minutes -- hardly long enough to understand a person.

I agree that antidepressants often do more harm than good, especially for young people. CBT can be useful, especially when depression has a definite antecedent or "cause." In my case, it didn't help. Mindfullness and meditation did, however. All depends on the individual.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Diganosed with Depression - May 9th 2013, 05:22 PM

I have to agree that a mental health diagnosis from a GP is not the best idea. When I told my doctor I had been feeling depressed (and I DO know what depression is), she basically agreed with everything I said I felt and tried to throw pills at me which I refused. I would suggest getting a full assessment from a mental health professional, but whether the diagnosis is accurate or not, a diagnosis labels your symptoms, it doesn't label a person. It tells us how you feel, not who you are. There are whole counseling theories who reject diagnosis completely. If you don't like the label, then don't label yourself. Good clinicians won't see you that way (or at least they aren't supposed to). The symptom label only becomes your identity if you let it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread