TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 11th 2013, 12:19 PM

I randomly came across this and I just HAVE to share this with you guys!

Some of you might be thinking/might have thought about telling someone near you about your depression through a letter. I think that most of the times we are completely lost as to what we should write. So here's something I found and I think that it is superb! Its so perfect, it describes depression really well and covers many important thing in a humorous way-

Quote:
Dear You,

I am writing to confide in you that I have been bitten by a dog. Before you rush me off to get a tetanus injection, I should explain that the bite was from the metaphorical black dog. In other words, I suffer from depression.

I appreciate that you might not properly understand what that means. It's a bit like having an orgasm – you’ve heard about it, you know what occurs, you may even have seen it happen to someone, but you can never really know what it feels like without experiencing it for yourself.

Having depression isn't like being depressed about the fact you can't afford those fabulous shoes or that your football team lost. People with depression don't tend to say 'I'm sooooooo depressed.' We don't have the energy to use unnecessary vowels.

We also don't sit at home rocking backwards and forwards. Unless in a chair designed for that purpose of course. We aren't crazy. We aren't weak. We aren't usually depressed about something we don't like in our lives because if we were we'd change it. Similarly we aren't able to just 'think positive' and 'snap out of it.' Believe me we’ve all tried.

Also there's a lot more to depression than feeling lower than a worm's boobs. It's a bit like having a horrendous hangover - the paranoia, the lethargy, the guilt. Being unable to think straight, being unable to sleep and being a bit useless in general. It lasts a hell of a lot longer though and there has been no fun night out beforehand to make it worthwhile.

If I had a broken leg I know you'd make allowances for me and help in any way you could. I realise this situation is more difficult to deal with because there is nothing to see and there’s no plaster cast to write a funny message on, but if you think about it, the same could be said if it was my heart that was broken. You’d still be straight round with a shoulder to lean on, assurances that I’ll get over it and appropriate little white lies that I will never hurt again.

Any chance of doing the same for my broken head? I’ll put the kettle on in case…

Love, Me
The person who wrote this has a blog called "Bitten by the Dog". Here's the link- http://bittenbythedog.com/

I've just discovered this and only read 2-3 posts but I am already loving it!
I hope you guys like it too.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 11th 2013, 01:41 PM

That reminds me of the 'black dog' which Winston Churchill used to describe his clinical depression. Very informative and encouraging, thank you for sharing!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 11th 2013, 07:38 PM

This is amazing, I agree with Sarah here!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 11th 2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks for sharing

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 11th 2013, 09:04 PM

Wow, this is just perfect. Thanks for sharing this!

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Hailey

Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 12th 2013, 01:01 AM

I love this! It's such a lighthearted but accurate description of depression, and it kind of takes the edge off of telling someone.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 12th 2013, 01:47 AM

Wow, I really like this. I might actually use this to explain depression to my parents a little more.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount8

Edit avatar

Re: Dear you: an easy way to start talking about your depression - October 16th 2013, 11:37 AM

This is really clever and lighthearted, thanks for sharing!
Closed Thread