TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 12:09 PM

I've recently been watching "The Food Hospital" online and have learned all about how different types of foods can help various health problems. I have started eating a lot healthier and feel much better I have also bought a health/diet book called "The Food Doctor". Here are some things I've learned about the correlation between diet and depression.

Eat breakfast. You need something to wake up your metabolism. Without breakfast you will be grouchy and will be more inclined to eat foods high in sugar to wake you up. Healthy breakfasts include:

Porridge with semi-skimmed milk. You all could add some fruits Porridge contains fibre and it also slowly releases energy. Depression typically makes you feeling fatigue so slow releasing energy is great

Wholegrain breakfast cereal with semi-skimmed milk. This also contains a fibre

Wholemeal toast I like marmite on toast. Marmite includes loads of B vitamins which also increases energy levels.

Your five a day. Eat more fruit and vegetables. They're packed full with vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants. Antioxidants help boost the immune system. When I'm feeling depressed my immune system goes haywire, the more antioxidants the better Try to eat a "rainbow" of fruit and vegetables, try to include everything of different colours

Avoid alcohol. I find that drinking alcohol really triggers off depression the following day. Alcohol depresses the nervous system which slows down your reflexes and other brain functions. Not a great thing to do if you're already feeling depressed.

Avoid "energy stealers" These include alcohol, tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, etc. These foods stimulate hormone adrenaline. If adrenaline is over-produced it may lead to general fatigue. The less adrenaline I produce the better because I have problems with anxiety.

Follow the "Eat-Well" plate.

Dark chocolate. I come across a study a couple of weeks ago claiming that dark chocolate can combat fatigue. I thought I'd give it a go because I have nothing to lose. My energy levels have definitely increased. I also felt happier in myself. Why? Dark chocolate contains tryptophan which breaks down into two very important neurotransmitters, serotonin and melatonin. Serotonin is a natural antidepressant. Melatonin helps you relax and helps you fall into a deep sleep. Deep sleep is essential, it's when your body repairs itself. It also contains plenty of B vitamins

85% dark chocolate is what I eat. At first it tasted gross but I've gotten used to the taste

Eat a kiwi before bed. This sounds mental but it has been proven to help insomnia, which is often associated with depression.

Also, switch white bread, pasta and rice with wholemeal Wholemeal provides a LOT more fibre.

I have been feeling so much better over the past few weeks because of this I have so much more energy and I'm a lot less depressed, which is very odd considering I feel more depressed in the winter.

You may think this is a huge change and will be difficult but it really isn't. Just educate yourself about different types of food and what it really does for you. Also, stop thinking about food simply as a way to gain weight. It's so much more than that

(I know my written English isn't the best so I hope this is understandable )

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Doodle.; December 8th 2013 at 02:50 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 12:48 PM

I think this is a wonderful post, Ceilidh! The winter months (Northern Hemisphere) is when people tend to get depressed and if they have an eating disorder, abuse food. The tips you gave sounds really good. You hear eating tips year-round and it does nothing but trigger me, but your post kinds of inspires me. I know that sounds dorky, but it really does! Especially around the holidays, I need to watch what I eat and eat better.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks Glad you find it useful I drank a can of coke over my boyfriend's house yesterday and the taste turned me >.> I haven't been drinking fizzy drinks for about 2-3 weeks so I'm not used to it anymore. I now just drink water, fruit juice and milk.

My mum said to me earlier "will you stick with this diet around Christmas?" I honestly think I will. i don't see the point in eating junk food now, it's not doing anything for me :/ I'm just having empty calories.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21

Re: Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 02:21 PM

This is really cool! I'll definitely try this. And chocolate is great, so why not do that too ? I normally don't eat breakfast because I don't have much time to get ready in the morning. I'm going to try to eat it more often for a while and see what it does. In fact, I'll go eat something right now!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 02:29 PM

Try it It should give you more energy. With the increased energy and deep sleeping you may be able to wake up earlier which will give you more time to eat breakfast.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 05:41 PM

Hey!

Thanks for posting this!
This information seems really useful.
I recently have changed what I eat because I realized that gluten makes me sick and i feel quite a bit better.
It is a hard change to make at first but the benefits of changing diet are very helpful if done correctly and with help of people that are educated on nutrition such as dieticians, nurses or doctors.
A lot of factors can affect someone's mood including what they eat. I am glad you decided to post this and I hope it helps other people as well.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Diet and depression - December 8th 2013, 05:48 PM

Ah, that sucks So many foods contain gluten too Luckily quite a few people have an allergy/intolerance to gluten so the are plenty of gluten free foods out there.

Glad I helped

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: Diet and depression - December 14th 2013, 03:00 AM

Wow, thanks for this post. I think this will help out a lot of people if they follow this. Nice to see such a good quality post. I might try some things on here.

P.S: I'm glad these things are helping you. You deserve happiness.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Diet and depression - December 14th 2013, 12:22 PM

Aw, thank you <3333 Glad I'm helping others too ^____^

Closed Thread