TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zoe Burke Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,514, Level: 10 Points: 5,514, Level: 10 Points: 5,514, Level: 10

Depression? - July 30th 2014, 01:03 AM

Hi,I'm new to this so I don't how the site works yet,but...
I think I'm depressed.I've been feeling like I'm dead inside,but I have to keep living.As to why I'm depressed I think my reasons are justified,but then I also feel like I'm overreacting.My parents say that they love,but they don't even care enough about me to take me to the dentist(or to the doctor for vaccinations and checkups)My dad travels for work so I have to travel with my parents in an rv.I have to move alot.I'm homeschool ed,but I feel stupid.I'm trying to get into a private school at a church,but I'm not sure it's going to happen.I have zero friends.Also,my parents are extremely strict.My parents fight all the time and I think that they're going to separate.They yell at me for being depressed.
What do I do?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Depression? - July 30th 2014, 05:11 AM

I think you should tell your parents about your concerns and see if they can get you in to see someone. Right now, because you don't have a lot of resources available you need to try and go through them and see what happens. You said you don't have friends and that you have to travel with your parents, I would suggest bringing up your concerns in regards to all the traveling and the lack of friendships and see if they can help you come up with a solution.

You talked about looking into a private school, why don't you think you are going to get into it? Is there are specific reason or is that just you feeling doubtful because of your depression? This private school might be a really good thing for you because it might help you build friendships and stuff like that. Try not to shut it down right off the bat, wait until you get the rejection and go from there.

I hope that this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Depression? - July 30th 2014, 01:51 PM

i know that it all seems like all roads are dead ends, but this is definitely not the case. Things will get better for you. You just need to be given the chance to mix around and have fun with people your age. I know that your parents are strict, but you should be able to reason with them and get some liberty and freedom. i know that you need to try to change things first in order for them to get better.

hang in there. we're here for you. and keep in mind that you are not someone who deserves all this sadness. You deserve happiness and you deserve better things in life. Try having a heart-to-heart talk with them when there are no temper flares.

i know it's tough, but hang in there. we're here for you
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
drodii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Deanna

Points: 5,697, Level: 11 Points: 5,697, Level: 11 Points: 5,697, Level: 11

Re: Depression? - July 30th 2014, 11:11 PM

You should never feel like you're overreacting when it comes to depression. It's a serious thing and should be taken seriously by the people around you. I'm sorry that your parents yell at you for being depressed. I personally don't think that's the best way they could be handling the situation.

I have never been homeschooled, or traveled in an r.v. But I do have strict parents and I kind of know where you're coming from with that. As mentioned earlier in a previous post, you could try talking to them when things are calmer. I definitely know the feeling of being afraid to talk to parents about certain subjects in fear of negative responses or punishment. But there comes a point where keeping it to yourself can become unhealthy.

I'm also sorry you feel like you can't make friends. This may not be the way you'd like, but online chat rooms or social networks in general are a great way to connect with people. Not only can you find people with similar interests, but you can literally almost talk to them whenever you want, no matter where you are. You don't have to worry about physically being with them because with the click of a button you can talk to them.

I've met a lot of close friends through sites like DeviantART, (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram respectively) and even Omegle. (rarely)

It's not a physical friendship but it still makes you feel important and wanted. Even just being part of a community like this can make you feel a part of something bigger than yourself, and sometimes that can be a big self-esteem booster.

I didn't cover everything in your original post, but I hope I've provided something you can find useful. (:
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: Depression? - August 4th 2014, 05:04 AM

Hey there.

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. Being home-schooled must be difficult for you not seeing/talking to anyone very often, along with that, all the traveling must make it hard to make friends as well. I don't think you're overreacting at all. The way things are for you, I can understand why it'd cause you to become depressed.

Are there any groups near where you are for parents and kids who are home-schooling? Sometimes they have those so that parents and kids can get the proper amount of socialization and make friends. Hopefully you could make friends there and keep in contact via social media, phone, and/or texting. Then visit them when you're in the area again. You could also make friends online, like here on TeenHelp!

Do you have any hobbies or creative outlets, anything you enjoy doing? Hobbies and such can be great for when you're depressed. Gaming, reading, board games with family or even finding a TV show you like so you have something to look forward to each week. As for creative outlets, you can do things like draw, paint, write poetry or short stories (and even post it in the Self Expression forum here). Something else that may help is a private journal, just something to write down your feelings and thoughts in to get it out on paper.

It's great that you're trying to change things for yourself, for trying to get into the private school at church. I think that could be good for you, but why don't you think you'll get into it? I hope that it does work out and you get into it.

Why do you say your parents are strict, would you like to talk about that? Strict parents must also be difficult for you to deal with so I figured I'd offer for you to talk about it if you feel comfortable doing so. Sometimes getting things out can be relieving.

I'm sure your parents do love you, even if it may not seem that way. With your dad traveling for work, and your parents arguing, that may be what's causing them to lack in caring for you (things like you mentioned, checkups, the dentist etc). I think it would be a very good idea to sit down with them when they're in a fairly okay mood and things are quiet. Ask them in the most polite way possible if they could make some time to take you for checkups and things that you need. Keeping your health in check is important. It'd also be important to explain that you're depressed and you wish they'd be more considerate of your feelings instead of yelling at you for it. You can also write what you wanna say to them on a note if that'd make it easier than saying it verbally. Aside from your parents, do you have anyone else you can talk to? You certainly shouldn't have to go through this alone.

Hope I helped. Feel free to PM me if you'd like someone to talk to. In the meantime, take care. The way things are in your life right now won't be this way forever. Stay strong.
Closed Thread