TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12

Question Anti-depression medicine - November 5th 2014, 04:16 PM

My anti-depression medicine is making me feel weird. I feel like I'm shaking on the inside, but not the outside, I never want to eat, even when I'm hungry, and I get super dizzy an hour after taking it. I've been on the medicine less than a week. My mother thinks it's normal for me to feel different and that my body is just adjusting to having a new chemical. Has anybody else ever had this problem with an anti-depressant?

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13

Re: Anti-depression medicine - November 5th 2014, 04:36 PM

The side-effects vary from different medicines. Almost all of them, if there are side-effects, have side-effects for about a week. If they don't go away after a week it is important that you tell your doctor or psychiatrist. Sometimes this may lead to trying a different med that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable.

When I was on meds my Zoloft didn't give me any negative side-effects, however my klonopin made me dizzy and drowsy for a few days after I started. I was on Abilify for a week when I decided to stop taking it because I wasn't sleeping, I was shaky in the way that you've been feeling, and it made me nauseous.

I would give it a week and then talk to your doctor if it doesn't sort itself out. I hope this helps and I wish you luck

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Anti-depression medicine - November 7th 2014, 02:15 AM

I just started Zoloft no more than two or three weeks ago, so I don't know how much use I'm going to be here.

With mine, I have had some side effects. For the first few days, I had tons of nausea. I DO now have an appetite thing, I'm kind of like that now too, nothing seems appealing to me at all and sometimes I don't get hungry until the evening, or have to force myself to eat. Or when I am hungry, I'm like mehhhh and just put it off.

I don't know if your "shaking" experience is like what I got or not. I kind of felt almost "anxious" but it was a different type of anxious where I also kind of had to go fast and couldn't sit still.

That being said, my APRN said that generally these symptoms DO regulate, and besides my appetite being weird, they have. However, she told me to let her know if they continue so we can try other things.

Again, that being said, it's important to share any side effects with the prescriber so they can tell you if they're normal and what to expect, and what to do if they DON'T stop. That's how they help you best.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: Anti-depression medicine - November 7th 2014, 02:32 AM

I have taken some multiple antidepressants.... Umm... The side effects r normal... The one I'm on currently Im constantly cold (like shaking cold) ... And I'm not hungry really like I can go all day w/o I usually eat when i take it or else I feel sick! but others make me really tired.. The last one I taken I got dizzy.. Like when you stand up suddenly you get that weird dizzy sensation... So yea.. It is kinda normal to get side effects if they presist for a while I would say to tell your doctor and they should help either switching the medication or prescribe another to help relieve the side effects! If you have any other questions feel free to PM/VM me
Closed Thread