TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
12345cb Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Casey

Lightbulb Should I move? - November 9th 2014, 02:17 PM

So I've been taking people's advice and thinking about what might cause my depression. After thinking for a long time, I think it might have a lot to do with where I live. I know my friends are here, but the weather always sucks and I've been living in the same small town in Illinois for my whole life (16 years). I feel like I want to get out of this state, probably even this region. I think I might be able to leave some of my feelings behind me if we were to move. Does anyone have any places in mind? Somewhere where the weather is nicer, there's a lot to do, everyone is friendly and everyone knows eachother.

Moving would be a huge change for me and my whole family. At first it might be scary, but I honesty think it would be amazing overall.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Should I move? - November 9th 2014, 07:40 PM

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you've been listening to others advice and that they've helped you.

Is moving plausible for you and your family, and is this something you've discussed? Moving is a big, big change and although you might think it's what you've been looking for, it's possible it won't help your depression. Obviously it all depends on your triggers and what you personally think will help you- you know yourself best, and therefore are in the best position to help yourself. It's really good and quite refreshing to see you taking such a proactive approach to your recovery- good job!

I would say discuss this with your family, but also look into other options- for example counselling or medication. Moving is a really big change, and the only reason I'm acting so cautious is because I'm unsure of how it will turn out. But let me know how things go, okay? (:

Best wishes,

Laura

Take as long as you need.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Should I move? - November 10th 2014, 12:30 PM

Hey there,

Whether or not to move can be a tough decision. Have you tried to write down the pros and cons of it? If not, then I feel that this is what you should start with. Pros could be being in a new place with new people and hopefully, a nice weather. Doing something new, being in a new place and exploring it can no doubt be very stimulating and has the potential to make you feel better. Cons could be things like socializing and making fresh bonds. Are you someone who is able to make friends easily? If not, then being in a new place with no family or friends at a time when you are struggling can be very challenging. Plus, there is no guarantee if the place will be as per your expectations. There are all kinds of people everywhere, it might take you some time to find the friendly ones that you get along with.

Like you've said, it can be very scary at first. But it can also be truly amazing once you've settled and adjusted over there. It is up to you to weight the pros and cons and make a decision accordingly. Change has both positive and negative aspects to it, but sometimes, change can be necessary as well. You can talk about it with those who are close to you and take their opinion on the matter.

Unfortunately, I am unable to suggest any places as I am from a different country.

Please feel free to PM/VM if you'd like to chat.

Take care.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread