TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Coping with depression - November 27th 2014, 08:10 PM

My friend made a good point to me earlier when she was talking about her OWN mental illness. She said that for her, she felt as if her anxiety almost balanced out her depression and made it more tolerable, and when her prescriber upped her meds when she was getting more anxiety, she started feeling more depressed.

I wonder if I'm like that too. For the most part since I've started Zoloft my anxiety has been in check or has been at a reasonable level at appropriate times (ie when I was reasonably worrying about a friend's safety). But recently I feel as if my minor depression is starting to hit me again.

I DO get episodes of depression sometimes but this is a bit different feeling. I'm just so so so tired. I want to do nothing more than sleep. And I just feel the heaviness lingering there. Even when I'm with friends or doing something fun, it's still there pressing down on me so it doesn't last long, and then when I'm done I just want to sleep. It takes me a bit to get out of bed in the morning to get to class, so sometimes I run a bit late (I've managed to get there on time though).

I dunno. I'm used to feeling anxious more than depressed. I'm telling my APRN next time I see her, but how do I cope with this until we get my meds right?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Coping with depression - November 27th 2014, 08:21 PM

I think that sometimes your desire to sleep is caused by the fact that all this thinking and subconscious thoughts are tiring your out mentally, which causes you to just want to rest. :hug; I don't know much bout meds, but what i do know is that if you think that you can overcome your situation, then that definitely helps. No matter what situation you're in, you're even stronger than the challenge you're facing.

I think that sometimes its better to introduce other factors, such as calmness. Reading a good book, or writing a diary can help you express your thoughts as well as have an outlet for whatever feelings you're having.

i hope my advice helped. If you wanna rant, you know that i'm always here.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Coping with depression - November 28th 2014, 03:36 AM

Thanks! I definitely am thinking of things more optimistically now that I've been on meds than I have before and I do have more confidence that I can make it through, but it's just tough in the meantime, ya know?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: Coping with depression - November 28th 2014, 05:00 AM

Hi, Dez!

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with this. In a way, what your friend is saying does make sense.

I'm sure many people here can understand and relate to the feeling that depression gives. That heavy, low feeling where all you want is to sleep. That's okay to do sometimes. I mean, especially after having a tough day or week, you're certainly allowed to have some rest as it can help, you know? But sometimes doing that a lot can actually end up making you feel worse. When you feel as you can, try your best to stay in a routine of healthy behaviors. Eat healthy, try keeping a good sleep pattern, spend time with friends so that you aren't alone often etc.

In the meantime, do you think it'd help you to distract yourself? Like watching a favorite TV show or a movie for example. Something lighthearted, comedies and such. This may sound silly, but have you thought of doing some serious baking?! You can't go wrong. Baking cookies or cupcakes keeps you busy, and something sugary every once in awhile can be quite a treat. Turning to emotional outlets may help too. Such as expressing yourself through art and/or creative writing. Maybe you could express how you're feeling through poetry (because let's all just admit it, we want to see more poems by you!).

I hope that talking to your APRN helps and that you can get things sorted out. You're welcome to PM me if you need someone to talk to.

Stay strong, you can get through this!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Coping with depression - November 28th 2014, 05:45 AM

I know that it can be tough. But that's just how pressure affects us. Deep down, as long as you know that this is something that you can overcome, you will overcome it

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread