TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Finally time to get help. - March 8th 2015, 10:52 PM

I've come to the point where I know that I need help because my depression and anxiety is effecting my daily life. I'm constantly having mood swings if things don't go right, I don't have the motivation to go to work, and basically I'm afraid every moment, thanks to anxiety.

I have an appointment with a regular family doctor this week. I'm not sure how much to tell him. But I'm also considering going to a counselor, except I'm really unsure of how to look for one. I'm pretty picky when it comes to doctors and counselors. I prefer male (for whatever reason) and somebody closish to my age - a little older, so inbetween late twenties and mid thirties. How do I find somebody like this?

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Finally time to get help. - March 8th 2015, 11:51 PM

Hey Sammie,

If you feel uncomfortable telling your doctor things you could just keep it really simple and say that you have been feeling depressed and anxious. I donít think they will ask you lots of questions, unless itís general stuff e.g. how long have you been feeling this way. Your doctor could refer you to a counsellor, but you might not be able to choose.

You could look online for counsellors in your area, and choose one that way. Itís great to be able to get on with your counsellor and trust them, but also look out for their qualifications, insurance, if they are a member of a professional body, different types of therapy they offer, price range, and issues they can help with.

Do you have anyone to help you with finding a counsellor? It might make things a bit easier if you feel a bit stuck.

Take care

HelpLINK/Live Help Officer | Click here to volunteer

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Finally time to get help. - March 9th 2015, 01:38 AM

Hey, Sammie, I am glad you've recognized what you are struggling with and have decided to get the help you need. That is the toughest step to take, and you can go all the way to recovery.

Hollie provides some very useful tips and advice, which I agree with. If you ever feel uncertain, don't be afraid to come back to the website and ask for advice, we're here to help whether or not you're in recovery!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Finally time to get help. - March 9th 2015, 12:09 PM

I think that the anxiety is most probably caused by an event that has occured in your past, and it's pretty much time to let go of your past and move into the future. :hug; I also understand why you're looking for that sort of doctor / physician because people around your age range will usually understand what you're going through more. Everyone has some sort of trigger to anxiety... you just need to find yours, come to terms with it.. and accept the fact that whatever that triggered it belongs to your past, and not your future. :hug;

Best of luck and here's a friendly reminder that i'm always going to be around for you. Rant to me anytime!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

Closed Thread