TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NateT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: nate

Real Life Help - April 27th 2015, 05:37 AM

Recently, I've been considering getting help in real life. I've been thinking about seeing the school counselor, but people at school might see me (including my friends who I've not told which is all, but one) and find out, or going to a therapist who I (my dad) would actually have to go to outside of school. I don't want to go the therapist because then I would have to tell my dad and he doesn't know that I'm depressed so I think the school counselor is the better option, though my friends might find out, but my dad wouldn't (unless I told the counselor about my thoughts of suicide). Thanks everyone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Real Life Help - April 27th 2015, 06:04 AM

Honestly, school counselors handle more than just mental health issues, so if you really don't want anyone to know, you could always tell them you're there for something else (schedule or class issues, anything school-related really) and they wouldn't figure it out. Depending on what you bring up, they would be required by law to tell your dad though, it's not always a choice they have. Good luck.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NateT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Real Life Help - April 27th 2015, 07:41 AM

Thanks Kate. Yea, I think I'm going to go to the school counselor some time this week. Maybe not tomorrow, but I"m gonna try one of these days (hopefully) unless I back out. I don't know if asking him up front what he would have to tell my dad would make it seem like I'm trying to hide something, though. Thanks again, Kate.

Last edited by NateT; April 27th 2015 at 07:41 AM. Reason: rewording

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Real Life Help - April 27th 2015, 07:57 AM

In an ideal situation he would go over that with you at some point, probably before you tell him anything. It takes a lot of courage and sometimes it's something you have to work up to. I suffered for 13 years before finally going to someone only at the urging of a faculty member who I can't speak highly enough of and couldn't respect more. It took me over a month to make the phone call and once I was there I was SO nervous I almost walked out of the waiting room, but I knew it was a now or never situation and that if I walked out, I could never face the desk staff again so I wouldn't go back. Best decision I ever made, but certainly not an easy one. I was in a program to become a professional counselor (it didn't work out, LONG STORY) and I was an adult. I know the rules for school counselors and minors are different so I don't want to tell you wrong.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Real Life Help - April 27th 2015, 10:28 AM

Revealing your bouts with depression or suicidal feelings to those close to you is often a huge step and something that can be very intimidating. I can't promise that everyone in your life will be understanding, as these issues are still misunderstood by many people and I don't know the folks in your life, but I do hope you are able to find a way to seek help if you feel you need it.

I don't have much else to add, as Kate already offered some great input, but I wish you the best and hope everything works out.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NateT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Real Life Help - April 28th 2015, 01:16 AM

fuck; I don't think I can do it. I cannot share my emotions with someone face-to-face and definitely not my private thoughts, especially suicidal. I walked by the room multiple times, but while people are around, I just cant go in. they'll watch and judge me. I'll just wait 'til later when I can do this on my own time out of school (adult) and use my own money so no one will find out if I don't want them to. sorry guys, im just not ready

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hidden11 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Real Life Help - April 30th 2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateT View Post
fuck; I don't think I can do it. I cannot share my emotions with someone face-to-face and definitely not my private thoughts, especially suicidal. I walked by the room multiple times, but while people are around, I just cant go in. they'll watch and judge me. I'll just wait 'til later when I can do this on my own time out of school (adult) and use my own money so no one will find out if I don't want them to. sorry guys, im just not ready
What's the worst that could happen with sharing your feelings face to face? if you were thinking about going and seeing the counselor, then your issues are important enough to feel like you have to talk about it. Don't let fears get in the way, fears are irrational reactions, and trust me, I know from experience, they will keep you from so much in life. Don't worry about judgment, everyone has their demons, more people than you may think! it's a part of life, just some folks have more than others.

Closed Thread