TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bleachedout Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Dad thinks suicides a threat - May 5th 2015, 05:15 AM

I've been depressed for a while and just recently broke down in front of my parents. I was crying and started talking about suicide because I didn't have anything to say and I was trying to let the pain out And let them know that I was seriously considering just putting myself out of my misery.

My dad, who thinks everything is about him, claimed I was just using suicide as a "threat" to make him feel bad (like I'd even bother).

I just overheard my parents talking about it behind my back, they don't think I'm serious, they just think I'm doing it/saying it for attention or to get what I want. I don't want to commit suicide just to show them but the anger's builing up, what should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Dad thinks suicides a threat - May 5th 2015, 05:42 AM

Hello there, my parents reacted the exact same way. You know how real your pain is, don't let them convince you it's not. Also, I understand the incredible frustration. Please don't do anything to harm yourself (to prove a point or not). Find someone who believes you and try to find help elsewhere. I waited almost 13 years to get help because of the way my parents reacted. Try not to wait so long to get help if you can.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
KarlaVarela Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karla Varela

Re: Dad thinks suicides a threat - May 5th 2015, 06:12 AM

I don't think your parents had the right to react like that and I believe that you should talk to someone else that you TRULY believe that may help you even if your parents don't think you are serious because you are.
And don't commit suicide, You ARE worth so fricking much!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Dad thinks suicides a threat - May 5th 2015, 08:44 PM

Hi there,

I'm sorry that your parents reacted this way. The most important thing is that you know how you are feeling and what is going on in your head in regards to your thoughts. Talking to them again might be beneficial to try and help them understand that you are being genuine and honest. If all fails I suggest you find someone else you can trust such as your GP, teacher, a counselor, etc whom you can talk to about how you are feeling and what you are thinking. Try and not to act on the thoughts especially if it's to prove that something really is wrong to your parents.

I know this is hard but you can do this. So keep on fighting and don't give up. We're always here for you too so don't be alone.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Dad thinks suicides a threat - May 7th 2015, 12:28 AM

Suicide and depression are unfortunately topics still widely misunderstood by many people. This could be the case with your parents - perhaps they aren't taking your words seriously because they simply don't understand what you are dealing with (not that I'm condoning their reaction, of course).

The worst thing you could do is harm yourself in any way in order to prove a point to them. Nobody is worth that. If you feel your parents aren't capable of giving you the support you need, it may be a good idea to find someone in your life who can. Best wishes.

Closed Thread