TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nintendude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: cob

Why is suicide not the answer? - May 21st 2015, 04:54 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

NOTE: I myself am not [completely] suicidal, and mostly asking this from a philosophical point of view. However, I'm sure that the ideas potentially generated will be insightful; I am attempting to play devil's advocate here, and hopefully reach a good answer/s that some people may be able to utilize in fighting suicidal thoughts.

We all know and would gladly say that suicide is not the answer. But why is that?

The way I see it, all of life is futile, it seems. Eventually in whatever billions of years later, the world will reach an entropic state, and everything ceases to exist. All of our accumulated experiences, works, achievements will literally not matter. Also, living in general propels the universe closer to entropy since we are using up so much energy in living, both through our actions (e.g. Our carbon footprints) and in our body (e.g. Mitosis itself). It feels like living is literally worse for the universe's life. In existentialist terms, some view suicide as a way out of our anguish from trying to figure out the world; you cease to exist, and then you'll no longer took over trying to figure out your life. One of the alternates to relieving this is religion, where you believe there is an afterlife, and thus resolves the internal conflict of finding out our purpose.

Why do we all say suicide isn't a good thing? Is it just our inherent biological need to sustain life and value it? Is there any actual real existing value in our lives outside of our (humans) personal perspectives?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Why is suicide not the answer? - May 23rd 2015, 02:10 PM

In my opinion, if you don't think that anything you do for yourself is worth anything, then live for other people. I had a friend who was extremely suicidal, and eventually, the only way they could continue, was by knowing that they were doing things for other people, like volunteering, caring for siblings, helping the environment etc. It wasn't about their own personal experiences, it was about all the people they would have left behind.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Why is suicide not the answer? - May 28th 2015, 12:01 AM

I've gone this path before, and still do grapple with this concept. I think some existentislists would agree that the meaning of life is to create your own meaning. I mean, there is so much to do and you'll be dead before you know it anyway so why not make the best of it?
That's how I see it on my optimistic days. On my life-itself-is-a-tragedy days I am completely suicidal and I guess it is something we as humans must deal with and reconcile for ourselves. I don't think any species suffer with this like humans do lol.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
nintendude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: cob

Re: Why is suicide not the answer? - May 29th 2015, 09:33 PM

It's a commonly agreed answer that life is inherently pointless but that we must make the most out of it, but this concept seems like a paradox too. Why make the most out of "it" when we already believe that "it" is nothing?

Closed Thread