TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
daintypetal Offline
sad poet
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isabel

Question Do you ever look in the mirror and... - June 1st 2015, 01:52 AM

Do you ever look in the mirror and see a complete stranger? As if your eyes are lost, that YOU are lost? Lately that's all I ever feel. I don't see myself, I see an ugly, disgusting, sad person. It scares me.

(Btw, I'm new here, yay..hi.)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
alongfortheride Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you ever look in the mirror and... - June 1st 2015, 08:17 PM

-Hey and welcome! (I'm new too )
We all have moments of feeling really low about ourselves and thinking stuff about ourselves that isn't true. Talking to people around you who support you will offer a ear I'm sure to what you feel like is going on inside- talking to others is always much much better than bottling it inside. If you ever need to talk you can PM me
Good luck x

We were born to be
real
not perfect

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Do you ever look in the mirror and... - June 2nd 2015, 01:11 AM

I think the above poster is correct: we all have our down times where we don't feel good about ourselves. I can't say I've ever experienced exactly what you are describing, but there certainly have been times where my self-esteem has not been high.

Has something specific happened to make you feel this way? If so, it may simply be a matter of getting past what it is you are dealing with at this time. Best wishes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Do you ever look in the mirror and... - June 2nd 2015, 09:09 AM

Hi, Isabel and welcome to TH.

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way about yourself. I'm sure that many could relate to how you feel. Has anything happened to make you start feeling this way and having these thoughts about yourself? I imagine it's really difficult to deal with, so you're free to talk more about it if you wish. Whatever you're comfortable with!

Building up self-esteem is a lot of work but I really do believe that you'll reach a point where you can look in the mirror and see someone you know and are happy being. When you look in the mirror, take a moment and try to find something about yourself that you do like. Your eyes or your hair for example. Try to notice and appreciate more things from there, even regarding your personality. I do understand that it's hard to go against how the low moods make you feel, but I'm sure you have a lot of wonderful qualities about yourself that you have yet to discover.

Do you think it would help to explore your interests, to go back to old hobbies you used to enjoy, try new hobbies and learn new things about subjects you have interest in? Sometimes that can be really helpful in finding yourself again. Having new routines in your life could be rather refreshing. Along with that, try to take time in each day to do something nice for yourself. Paint your nails, take a relaxing bath, watch an old favorite movie with a snack etc. Perhaps you could even go shopping for a new outfit? Finding an outfit you feel confident in can make a positive difference!

Overall, simply take notice of the good things you do. Try changing how you view yourself little by little, I realize it's not easy to simply turn off a switch and be happy with who you are. But progress takes time and you deserve to feel happy when you look in the mirror. Keep in mind that there's lots of great things about yourself that you probably don't yet see. Everyone's got things about themselves that makes them unique, and unique is a wonderful thing.

I hope this helped a little and I hope you begin feeling better soon. You're welcome to message me if you need someone to talk to!

Closed Thread