TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Counsellor or no? - June 16th 2015, 01:30 AM

So I'm starting to think about maybe seeing a counsellor or something for everything but last time I did I didn't say much because I don't trust easily or open up easily but I sort of want to try again and see what happens. My friend offered to come to the first few sessions to see how its going. But I don't know if I really want to go or not because I don't like talking to people. I don't know what to do or not cause I want to go but I don't at the same time.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Counsellor or no? - June 16th 2015, 02:16 AM

Hey there, this is very common and counselors expect you to be nervous and not to spill your guts at first. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right professional for you so if the first time didn't go as well as you hoped, the next time might be better. Getting help was the hardest decision I ever made. It took me over 10 years and encouragement from a faculty member who I couldn't have more respect for. Even after he talked me into it, it took over 2 months to make the phone call and when I went in for the intake I have never been that nervous in my life, but it was the best decision I ever made. I know it's not easy, but I'd definitely think it's worth it. Only you can make the decision, good luck

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Counsellor or no? - June 16th 2015, 06:10 AM

Hey, Hilary!

Honestly, you seem to have been through a lot and I know you still have your struggles. Which is why I think counseling could be really beneficial for you. The simple fact you're considering it is really healthy because to me, it shows you're wanting to reach out and get help. That's a very positive thing and something you should take a moment to feel proud of yourself for.

In regards to your concerns and past experience with counseling, I can understand why you'd be hesitant right now. Thing is, some people have to see quite a few different counselors before they find one that's right for them. By that, I mean as in feeling comfortable enough to open up and forming mutual trust. That also may not happen right away, it may take a few sessions.

On that note, perhaps you could share that with the counselor? That you have difficulty opening up and trusting. If he/she was aware of that then they could take steps in making you feel more comfortable before going into the more serious topics. Having your friend come with you could also be a good idea if you think it'd help!

Don't let your past experience discourage you. Seeking help is a great thing and could do a lot for you if you find the right counselor. Just remember that they're there to help you, okay? Take care and let us know how things go if you decide to see a counselor!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Counsellor or no? - June 16th 2015, 10:17 AM

Ok so I am going to be going to a counsellor. I'm not sure when yet but I will be soon.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Counsellor or no? - June 16th 2015, 06:57 PM

Best wishes with the counseling sessions. Opening up to someone you don't know can be intimidating, but it's nice that your friend offered to accompany you and that may help a lot. Therapy can be of great assistance to many people. I would advise that you share what you are comfortable sharing and see where things go. Best of luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Counsellor or no? - June 16th 2015, 07:24 PM

Hi Hilary.

I'm glad you have choosen to see a counsellor. I know that this can be a scary step to take but you aren't the only one who has issues opening up to people and some of us here will be able to relate to it. I know I can for sure. But having a counselor to talk to about your thoughts, feelings and past and present experiences as well as future worries and concerns can be really beneficial and helpful. I know its a big step to take but I am sure it will help you in some way and in all honesty, from getting to know you and see you around a bit, you deserve the help that you are now going to be getting. And the talking, you can take at your own pace okay? Nobody will force you to talk about something you don't want too. They may encourage you to, but they won't force which might make you feel a bit more comfortable.

You seem like such a lovely person and I know you have been through so tough and difficult times but maybe this is where that can start changing although bare in mind that counseling is going to be hard. So when you have your appointments you may struggle after them but you can get through those tough moments and we're always here to help you to do so. You deserve this help Hilary, put your all in to it and the counselor will meet you halfway and do their best too. You deserve that. I wish you all the best but remember we're here in the meantime.

Stay strong and keep that chin up. I believe in you.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Counsellor or no? - June 17th 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss View Post
Ok so I am going to be going to a counsellor. I'm not sure when yet but I will be soon.
That's really great and you should be proud of yourself for reaching out. I hope you find counseling beneficial, and feel free to keep us updated if you'd like because I'd be happy to hear how it goes for you. Best of luck, Hilary, you deserve to get some help for your struggles! Message me if you need anything.

Closed Thread