TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy :( - July 26th 2015, 05:50 AM

So every week during summer i have a panic attack over different things that i have done in my life. each thing just eats away at me. this pretty much ends when school start back up but the summer is long and hard. i like to surround myself with my loved ones but its getting harder. I feel like every thing i see reminds me of what i have done. this week i found this web site and it has helped a lot i have helped and i have been helped but it is still getting harder. i could use some advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: :( - July 26th 2015, 06:02 AM

Welcome, I'm glad we've helped I've only had one panic attack in my life for a different reason, but I know how much they suck. The best thing you can do is try to remember that whatever you've done can't be changed. Worrying about it and feeling guilty won't change anything that's happened, and the only thing you can do is learn from your mistakes and not make them again.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CcIrAaRzA33me Offline
Because...cats.
Not a n00b

Name: Ci

Re: :( - July 26th 2015, 07:03 AM

I have panic attacks, well far more often than I'd like to admit. I feel, like you, that this website has helped me a lot. I also feel like Yoga, (sorry not pushing exercise or anything on you) has helped me a lot. I've felt the best way I deal with mine are keeping my mind off things and when I start thinking "bad thoughts" I just tell myself that the past is past for a reason. I don't know why but it has helped me a lot.

Embrace the beautiful mess that you are.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: :( - July 26th 2015, 07:20 AM

Thank you guys you have helped

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: :( - July 26th 2015, 09:51 AM

Hey there, and welcome to the site. I'm glad you joined and that the site is helping you!

Dealing with a sudden lack of things to fill your time with, such as school like you mentioned, can be really difficult as that's when thoughts and regrets sink in when you have time to stop and think about it all. Which is why it's important to do your best in making peace with it and becoming content within. I realize that it's really difficult because I can relate, many can because no one is perfect. We all make mistakes. What helps is knowing that there's always at least one or more positives you can get out of each mistake if you focus on it in a clearer way with understanding, kindess and forgiveness towards yourself. Which is that mistakes are how we learn and gain experience. No one can be perfect, but mistakes can help us learn how to improve and do things better next time or at least know what not to do.

Something that might help when you find yourself feeling guilty and thinking a lot over things you've done is to get it out somewhere. Keeping everything inside is bound to eat away at you. Is there anyone you trust enough to talk about these things? Opening up to someone in your life and getting some things off your chest can help a lot, and of course, you're welcome to do so here if you'd like. People on TeenHelp are kind and aren't judgmental. Aside from talking to people about what's bothering you, I definitely suggest keeping a journal that you can write down your thoughts and feelings in. Getting it out on paper can feel like a weight is lifted. And if you're afraid of someone finding what you've written in your journal, you can always write down what's bothering you on a piece of paper then rip it up. It can feel as you're letting those feelings "go" in a way.

During summer, do you think that it'd help to find new hobbies to do in your spare time? Fun hobbies and distractions can help, and trying out new things can feel exciting. Expressive hobbies could also be helpful as well, such as art, crafts, music and creative writing just to name a few. Figuring out your feelings and dealing with your emotions in a healthy way is very important. So make sure that while you're doing things to lift your mood and escape for a little while, that you aren't pushing important things aside and letting them all build up. Having healthy outlets is really important.

Hope this helped a little. Take care and do your best not to be so hard on yourself, try focusing on all that you do. Even simple things like making a friend or family member smile when they're feeling down. The smallest things can have such a positive impact, so don't forget that you probably do a lot of good that you don't realize.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: :( - July 26th 2015, 03:44 PM

Hi there.

I know how hard it can be to get through summer when you have nothing to do because school isn't on. Have you thought about engaging in hobbies and activities that take your interest? Maybe you could look into joining in at groups and clubs because that's going to get you out of the house, get you meeting new people and give you something to do, you know? I think it might be really beneficial for you and help you. Try and surround yourself with loved ones, even if it is getting harder. As hard as it is, try and force yourself to spend time with family and friends to keep your relationships good and to keep you active and busy.

Having panic attacks can be really hard to manage. I used to have up to ten a day when I was back in school a few years back and I struggled to learn to manage them but in the end I did and so can you. I think it's really important to ground yourself when you're beginning to recognise that you're having a panic attack or feeling anxious. Maybe you could find a quiet place with someone you love and trust to sit down and feel the chair you sat on and ground yourself in that sense? Then get that person to ask you or ask yourself, where you are, five things you can see, fine things you can hear and five things you can smell to also help ground yourself. Also something I and the girls I was in hospital with found helpful was to carry a body spray with us and to spray some when we felt anxious or dissociated and it helped us bring ourselves back to the moment. So maybe you could try those few things.

Another big thing is that you need to control your breathing. You need to remember that this isn't going to kill you or hurt you, that you are in control, that you have been through it before and can go through it again and take control of your breathing if you are taking rapid breaths or hyperventilating. Take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth and continue doing so until your breathing has returned to normal. Remember panic attacks can cause things like pins and needles, dizziness, headaches, feeling sick etc so if you feel any of these, it's normal for what you are going through and its okay. Take back the control.

And lastly, don't be alone. If you feel you need help with what's going on then reach out for some support. Talk to your doctor/GP and see what ways they can help you or ask for a referral to a mental health team if there is something you need that kind of help with but remember we're here for you too. We're not here to judge but we're here to help and we care like so many others do care for you too and just want to talk help you as best as we all can.

Hope this helps. Keep fighting.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread