TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Points: 9,263, Level: 14 Points: 9,263, Level: 14 Points: 9,263, Level: 14

Red face Tackling Depression/Anxiety - August 7th 2015, 02:09 AM

So I've been suffering from depression and social anxiety since 7th grade. I'm currently going to be a senior in high school. I realize that I have a life to live and I refuse to let this take over me. It has stopped me from doing so much, and I'm working on tackling it. So, I'm trying to find ways to build up my self confidence and/or self esteem. Can someone give me tips or ideas on how to boost confidence, oreven how you boosted up your confidence if you've have a self esteem problem? Thank you
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Tackling Depression/Anxiety - August 7th 2015, 03:04 AM

Hi there!

Honestly, that's really fantastic to hear. I'm glad you've come to realize you have a life to live and want to tackle these issues. You definitely can tackle these struggles and you're welcome to reach out here for support throughout this, alright? Speaking of support, do you have friends or any trusted adult you can go to about this that you can talk to and seek support when in need? It's best if you don't fight it all alone.

Have you read any articles on these issues you deal with? TeenHelp has a lot of great and helpful articles for all different sorts of struggles and topics. You may find them helpful for what you're dealing with. Here's a link to an article about understanding self esteem. Understanding it can be helpful in learning ways to deal with it. There are also two other articles I'd like to mention that provide great points and how to see yourself in more positive ways. Click here, and click here for the second article. On the subject of articles, there's also a great one about coping with social anxiety at school (click here).

Overall, try putting yourself in situations and surrounding yourself with things you enjoy and that make you feel good. Immerse yourself in hobbies and activities you enjoy, work on improving skills like learning a musical instrument for example. Music is a great outlet and just an example of how if you put your mind and effort into something, you can become really good at it which will give you a huge boost of confidence. Other ways of improving self esteem and confidence would be to dress in ways that make you feel good about yourself. Go shopping perhaps? Try on outfits till you find one you feel confidence in. Same goes for shoes. Even do your hair and nails! Point is, do what makes you happy, what you're good at and accept flaws that you do have as no one is perfect, you know? We're all uniquely ourselves and have good and bad qualities. It just makes us who we are and it's important that we accept ourselves. This is simple but important and easier said than done, but don't be so hard on yourself. Allow mistakes and flaws.

You can do this and I'm glad you want to tackle these issues. I know it can't be easy but you can do this so stay strong and keep up the good work! I wish you luck.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Tackling Depression/Anxiety - August 7th 2015, 08:59 AM

Hey

I think it's really great that you don't want to let depression and anxiety take over your life! What I find to be helpful for building self-esteem is to think of all your positive qualities and write them on post-it notes and stick them somewhere that you will see everyday.

Take care

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread