TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MATB Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Serious suicide questions! - September 7th 2015, 04:01 AM

Is it normal for teens to want to kill themselves at some point? Like would the majority of teenagers know what being suicidal feels like or is it an unfathomable concept to most? How many teenagers think about killing themselves?

Also same for self harm, is it normal for teenagers to think about it/try it?

Last edited by MATB; September 7th 2015 at 05:38 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Serious suicide questions! - September 7th 2015, 04:20 AM

It really is hard to say, it's normal for teenagers to think about life and death and even somewhat normal for them to have more passive thoughts of like "what would happen if I did?" or "I could do such and such and I would probably die.", but there is a difference between those thoughts and being actively suicidal with thoughts like "life is so bad I can't take it anymore." and actually think about means or actually attempt. If you're having thoughts that are concerning, it's always a good idea to seek professional help.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Serious suicide questions! - September 19th 2015, 03:01 AM

'Normal' is difficult to define, but yes it is common for teens to think about self harm and/or suicide. The teenage years can be difficult for many reasons and some people cope better than others.

Rather than focusing on what's "normal", I would suggest you think in terms of what's healthy. It's certainly not healthy for teens to be doing either of the things you mentioned and, as Kate said, it's a good idea to seek help if you are struggling with them.

Sometimes teenage issues resolve themselves as you get older, but other times they don't. It's better to deal with problems now than let them drag on into your twenties.

~ Jasmine

Be kind to yourself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Serious suicide questions! - September 19th 2015, 03:41 AM

Well, I don't want to say that any and all thoughts of suicide are unhealthy. Because of the way a teenage brain develops, it's "normal" for them to think about life and death in a broad, somewhat philosophical sense or even to have passive thoughts as I mentioned above. They have a new ability to do this and they're testing it out. Having clearly defined thoughts or actions of harming yourself is not healthy and someone should seek professional help.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Serious suicide questions! - September 19th 2015, 04:13 AM

If you are having thoughts of killing yourself you should probably speak to a professional to determine what might be causing these thoughts such as depression. Some people do have fleeting thoughts of wanting to kill themselves but they would never actually act on it. If you are actually planning out your suicide and not just thinking things like "I wish I were dead" or "Things would be better if I were dead" then you need to seek out a professional right away. It is entirely unhealthy to be actively planning out your suicide.

I've talked to a therapist about it and fleeting thoughts when you are stressed out or feeling blue are common but when you take it a step further and start planning things you are getting into dangerous territory.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Serious suicide questions! - September 20th 2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATB View Post
Is it normal for teens to want to kill themselves at some point? Like would the majority of teenagers know what being suicidal feels like or is it an unfathomable concept to most? How many teenagers think about killing themselves?

Also same for self harm, is it normal for teenagers to think about it/try it?
Yes, Kate, I agree that trying to fathom out life and death is common and not unhealthy in itself. The same goes for the self harm curiosity, so long as that is all it is - a curiosity.

However, the phrases "want to kill" and "being suicidal" do not equate to thinking about suicide/death in a "broad, somewhat philosophical sense". They signify a level of distress/desperation that I don't think anyone can say is healthy. This is what I was focusing on.

~ Jasmine

Be kind to yourself.

Closed Thread