TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blader6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

self esteem - overbite - life - September 22nd 2015, 07:07 PM

Good evening,

unfortunately, I have an overbite what causes me to look bad.
Whenever I am sitting in the train or walking outside or in school, people look at me or I just get the feeling that I am being watched. I just hate it.... Because I feel like I am not like the other normal people.
I am sick of going to school because there aren't alot of people who wanna talk to me and it makes me get sad and angry because im a very nice person actually, so all I wanna do is just stay home.
In my free time I stay home or do sports, because there arent friends that I have who wanna go out with me and things like that...

I will attach a picture of myself aswell

Last edited by blader6; September 22nd 2015 at 09:09 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: self esteem - overbite - life - September 22nd 2015, 11:22 PM

Hey there.

I'm really glad you posted here and reached out but I am sorry you feel this way about yourself. It must be really hard feeling like you're watched and feeling like you aren't like other "normal" people. The thing is, you aren't alone. Especially in school, there are so many insecure kids and teens just like you. They may not show it and it may not be obvious. Even though it may feel like you're the odd one out, chances are, there are definitely people around you who can relate. This is easier said than done, but would it help to try reversing your thinking while out in public? Think about how all the people around you are going about their day. Either they're running errands, they're thinking about homework and classes they will be attending etc. They aren't watching you and thinking negatively. Just be you and carry on about your day as well. Think about other things while in public such as things you enjoy, people you enjoy being in the company of or something funny you saw the other day. Just try switching your thought-pattern, you know? Just till it begins feeling natural to be out in public.

As for your overbite, I can see how that would make you feel insecure about your appearance but that doesn't define who you are as a person. If people don't talk to you much just because of that then I find that quite sad. Can you try reaching out to people at your school? If people don't approach you, then try approaching them and show them how nice you really are. Appearances don't matter once you get to know who they truly are as a person. I hope that becomes evident to those around you. Perhaps you could approach someone that seems to be friendly/quiet and say hello, ask them their name and let the conversation flow from there. How about asking someone if you can sit with them at lunch to sort of get to know them? Speaking of getting to know people, are there any clubs, sports or school activities you can join to get to know others with common interests? I can see how all I mentioned there probably sounds scary especially when you're dealing with insecurities, but try to talk to people when you feel it's possible for you. Make friends and show those around you at school how much of a nice person you are. That's what matters.

An overbite is something that you can get treatment for and it can also interfere with teeth cleaning just to name one thing. So maybe if it's really impacting you then you could bring it up to your parents? In most cases, a dentist will give you a retainer or braces. Improving this problem may actually prevent later physical issues involving your teeth but I hope this wouldn't be a necessity just for you to feel okay about yourself. Overbite or not, you're still who you are and a very kind person therefore, you'd be a good friend and a nice person. How you look doesn't define who you are as a person because your personality is the most important thing.

Hope this helped in someway. Take care!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
msfsteven Offline
Average Joe

Re: self esteem - overbite - life - September 23rd 2015, 08:45 AM

Okay, so I might not be able to contribute as much as Ellie, but let me just say that people don't actually pay that much attention to overbite. My niece has overbite, she hates it, but I rarely notice it. My ex boss has overbite and she would share stories about her insecurities but I never paid attention to it. She was a great boss and amazing person, and I nor her students ever seems to judge her before and after getting to know her.

But I know how you feel. I have acne, and right now there's a huge pimple on my nose (among surrounding acne). There's no denying that it makes us feel insecure and damages our self-esteem. The feelings are there. But it does help to step outside yourself; the world doesn't evolve around you, and in this case that's a life savor. People are too focused on themselves to notice you. And if they do happen to judge you, it's only a reflection of their insecurities and not yours. What really helped me was to say "Steven, come on now. Not everybody is spending their time caring about what you look like."

Question: how old are you?
  Send a message via Skype™ to msfsteven 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: self esteem - overbite - life - September 27th 2015, 04:14 PM

I'll just say that everyone has their own insecurities, and if people end up judging you because of what they perceive to be your shortcomings, then people are missing out on a really sweet friend. You deserve better than to feel this way, and i'm just going to say that you deserve to be happy.

Try something new. Get out there, get into sports and do some healthy stuff . One of the reasons why you're thinking too much about your shortcomings is because you're forgetting what you have which makes you special. Celebrate yourself, and celebrate the fact that there's only one you.

I'm sorry if this was a little short, but i just wanted you to know that you too deserve happiness. You're nice, you might be one of those quiet ,mature people that is a blessing to the people around them. If you want someone to rant to, just know that i'm always here. Talk to me anytime!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The Doctors Wolf
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Moon

Re: self esteem - overbite - life - September 28th 2015, 12:35 AM

I understand I've been in orthodontics for almost 8 years I. Order to get rid of my over bite. It was about an inch over my bottom lip and I couldn't close my mouth. This is the first year my jaw has looked normal. But people used to stare at me and tease me too. But don't let it get to you stand tall and be proud of who you are they are just missing out

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WyeOak Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shan

Re: self esteem - overbite - life - September 28th 2015, 03:54 PM

Hey there,
Let me start off by saying that I understand completely how you feel. I suffer from a condition whereby the enamel of my teeth is extremely brittle and has worn away too quick and they certainly aren't pretty. Since I was a kid I had self esteem issues about it and you'll never see pictures of me smiling with my mouth open.
It's a horrible kind of feeling to have because you start to believe you can't do anything about it and that it affects you and how others perceive you. The truth is though, it doesn't.
This is not the kind of thing you should let control your life or confidence. I wont say you can solve all related problems, I still don't smile wide in photos but I don't think as much about how others may see me or judge me. There's no point, you'll just be excluding yourself from social interaction and activities if you let it fester in your mind.

There are people who will judge you for it and there's nothing you can do about it. If they feel like something that's out of your control is a way to presume what you are like as a person, then that's their problem, not yours. When you accept this then you can let yourself be a bit happier and less confined by your fears.

Last edited by WyeOak; September 28th 2015 at 04:11 PM.

Closed Thread