TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
My Diary Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stef

Emotion Suppression and Coping - April 17th 2016, 01:07 AM

Hi guys,

For a few months now, I've just been such an emotional roller coaster, and it's not just 'normal' teenage mood-swings. I've been really down and upset, and I'm just not sure what to do about it.

In the beginning, I pretended to myself like nothing was wrong, because I just hated the reality.
I had to accept it, but once I did, I wasn't sure where to go from there. So I tried forcing myself to be happy and positive. Sometimes it worked, and there have been periods of days where I've felt amazing and super positive, and I always think it'll last. But eventually, usually because of my parents, it just comes crashing down somehow.

I don't know what to do. If I force myself to be happy and positive and try to ignore my negative feelings, and I can avoid 'crashing down' by avoiding my parents, will it last? Or no, because you just can't suppress your emotions like that?

I want to vent out my feelings to a person, but I've done a lot of reflecting lately, and I've realized that my friendships are pretty much all superficial and lacking a deeper connection (after realizing that I've tried working at it, and I think it's actually getting better)... So I don't know who to talk to. I can't talk to my parents, that'll probably make things worse. We have a horrible relationship, and being around them is largely responsible for my emotional problems.

There is one friend I have who I might be able to talk to about this. I see her about once a week, email her a lot, and she's an adult.
But I don't know what to say. I don't know where to begin. I don't even completely understand my own feelings, and I'm kind of afraid to talk about them... =/

It's even hard for me to open up about them here, where I'm completely anonymous. But if I don't open up, then things won't get better, because how else can you cope besides opening up?

Maybe I should write her an email, and then talk in person. I'm just not sure what to say. I'm so confused.
What if she tells my parents? She knows my parents are nuts, but she might feel an ethical obligation (which I could kind of understand), and I'm worried telling them will make the situation with them worse. I could explain that to her, but I don't know...

Maybe venting on this forum will help a lot. I'm going to try to post here more often.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Emotion Suppression and Coping - April 17th 2016, 06:03 AM

Hello Stef .

I think that its better for you to mix around with other people to, and it's better for you to just be daring, and talk to some of those people you've never tried talking to before. Strangers are just friends waiting to be made, and I'm sure that when it really comes down to it, some friends just wanna meet up with people, hang out and talk to them and connect with them on an emotional level (which is what you wanna do) .. so if you give everyone a chance and talk to more people, I'm pretty certain you'll find the people you can connect with .. and they'll be able to listen to you, help you and be your bosom friends for years to come, and perhaps even eternity. I do think that you deserve to give yourself a chance to mix around. It'll be fun, and sometimes fun, good times and just some laughter can go a long way towards repairing and healing your feelings , enabling you to see things in a better light.

I think that for some kids, its truly okay to kinda really avoid parents because lets face it, some parents are just mean, and they might not really support the child in the most reasonable manner (some are abusers, some are trash-talkers and some might not even care about the child because they're too drunk to even think of them ) . So, I think that its okay for you if you talk to other people about your issues.. some parents don't understand their children at all and it's kinda a pity, because I find that people like you are beautiful, and you care a lot about other people.

In regards to your friend , I do think it's okay for you to talk to her about your feelings, and its okay for you to talk to her.

Also, tell her to not tell your parents... because she knows your parents are nuts and will probably take this the wrong way, resulting in more squabbles and negative words being said to you.

I do think that what you have to do is just learn to enjoy things day by day, and slowly but surely make things better. You're still young, and there's plenty of chances for you to enjoy yourself. I think that the more fun you have, the more methods you have of relaxing, the better for you . A good , happy time is what everyone needs, and I'm sure that your days, years and decades ahead are all going to be full of smiles, joy and laughter. Give yourself the chance to do that, and you'll find that you're going to be able to mix around , gain a lot of friends, and throw off the belief that your parents will ruin everything (you're who you are, and you deserve to believe that you can get happiness.. because you CAN be happy.

I hope that my reply helped. Remember that I'm here for you too. You deserve to be happy, and you got my full support! Venting on this forum does help.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Emotion Suppression and Coping - April 17th 2016, 09:53 PM

Such a shame to hear how your feeling when I was struggling with depression I went to see a counsellor and it helped me so much! have you considered that talking about your emotions to another person may help? Im have you got. Family member you can talk to or a close friend? Then perhaps your emtions won't be such an up and down rollercoaster. I hope you feel better soon. I believe counselling will help you cope with everything you have mentioned in this post it sounds so overwhelming I wish you all the best.

Closed Thread