TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Notsure Offline
Average Joe

Name: Sam

Insecure and worried about my intelligence - April 30th 2016, 08:19 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Im really insecure about my intelligence. And as intelligence is one of the most important things to me, and i want to be a physicist, this gets me very down at times.

Im not entirely sure why i think im going to fail. I suppose its because:

At school for half of the time people usually are (for the past two years and next year). This is because my school ends at 12am every day except for Wednesday (3am)
Missed 3-4 months of school entirely
In a group chat where most active people have more knowledge of physics and math than me. All but one are older though. Most are 17+
My maths teacher and dad keep telling me i will need to study really hard, and for some reason i interpret this as them thinking im not good tnough

I dont think i have anything to worry about. But it gets me very down a lot. Now, for example. Usually when this makes me down, i stay down for a few days or weeks. This time im going to fight it though, and try not to stay down.

Im mostly worried about the maths i guess. Im grade C for maths, which is a little above average for my age. But i will need to know calculus for physics at university. And calculus is very far away at the rate im progressing. I have no reason to worry about my physics knowledge. In the past year i have learnt a LOT, and i plan to get two grades above my predicted grade by the end of this year. But physics relies on math. So im worrying about hitting a brick wall in the future because i might not get better at maths fast enough.

If i can find any good websites or youtube channels to study maths, that would be good. I find learning from videos a lot better than a book or in class. If anyone knows of any good websites or something for learning maths, that would be great.

Sorry for this being super scattered and stuff. The structure and purpose doesnt even make sense to me now. I pretty much just went on tangents. But basically i just feel im not going to be able to be a physicist like i've always wanted to be, and that im not good enough and a failure. And i really hate feeling like this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 1st 2016, 07:56 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like this. There is an enormous amount of pressure on students today to be intelligent and get good grades, and I don't think it really helps.

First and foremost I would say never, never believe you aren't good enough. You are the one who decided to become a physicist, and no one knows you better than yourself, so clearly you have every capability to achieve that. You are brilliant, and if you came up with this goal there is no one who is better to achieve it.

Perhaps the group chat you are in isn't really helping, because the people in it will have a higher understanding of physics and maths, and although you are very capable yourself, it will feel like you aren't good enough because they have so many more years of knowledge than you. Perhaps try finding one with people more suited to your age, as you will get a much better understanding of your own abilities within your age group.

Your teacher and your dad will want you to do the best you can, particularly if you are predicted an A. They are trying to encourage you and keep you motivated, rather than make you feel inadequate. Try talking to them and explaining that it is having a negative effect rather than a positive one, and would appreciate some other form of encouragement. Also I'm sure your teacher would be more than happy to do extra lessons with you if you asked them, at lunchtime or after school to help you understand maths better and progress faster if they knew it would help you.

I'm not really a physicist so I don't really know any websites, but when I was doing sciences last year I found the CGP study guides and exercise books incredibly helpful. They are very engaging and explain each topic on a page so it's really easy to understand. Normally they come in pairs, with a book explaining everything and also with lots of practise exercises. They are really cheap on Amazon and I would definitely recommend them.

You are not a failure, and you can do anything you set your mind to. You are brilliant at what you do, and have every capability to achieve your goals.

Best of luck, and feel free to VM/PM me for any help or if you want to chat

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Notsure Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 1st 2016, 08:50 AM

Thanks.

The group chat is alright. Most of the time i understand what they're talking about, and sometimes partake in discussions. Just when they start talking complicated maths, it triggers me a bit i guess.

I've never met anyone in my age group that is really interested in physics. But having a few friends of similar age that are interested in physics and of similar knowledge is something i have been wanting.

I shall have a look at those books, thanks.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 1st 2016, 09:58 AM

Hello again Sam

I do think that it's better for you if you joined more societies and groups associated with your subject of interest in order to further your proficiency in what you're interested in, as well as grow more accustomed to the world you'll be delving into.. since you're interested in physics. I think that it's kinda good that you're so interested in that kind of subject at such a young age : it makes studying easier, and it certainly makes the reading and the homework less of a chore because it's what you want to do and it's what you 're thinking of doing in the future.

Also, I think I found some links which might be of use to you:

http://www.math.com/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/20-webs...ath-step-step/

I also think that going to wikipedia.com and looking up on phenomenons like the isaac newton theory, force theory.. and everything will enable you to get a head start on the others in this kind of regard. I think that for you, one of the more efficient ways of overcoming your internal negativity and bad feelings about yourself is to study and read up on stuff that will be helpful to you in the future: that way, you'll get to do what you want to do as well as prove to yourself that you're good enough: I know that what your maths teacher and your dad told you is that maths and physics is hard :

But they're hard for everyone, and they require extensive classes and effort to master. But you've got what it takes in you because you're interested in those, and you'll be able to learn those theories... just stay strong, and persevere. You'll get to where you want to be if you put in the effort, and I wanna remind you that you're more than good enough for this.

I repeat: You're not a failure and you never will be: Even if you fail the first time, try and try again. A real success comes after plenty of failed attempts, and you'll feel so justified and happy when it all finally comes to fruition. Never give up, stay strong .. do your best and remember that you can and will do it!

Sorry if it was a little long, but I wanted to tell you that your dreams are within your reach. If you need some assistance or just a friend to rant to, feel free to talk to me anytime... I'll always be around and I ain't going anywhere!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Notsure Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 1st 2016, 11:12 AM

I have a very big head start over my peers in physics. Im currently studying physics for 1-3 hours a day, and have been very interested in it for 6 years. Im mostly studying A level physics and quantum physics. I do find studying a lot makes me feel better, and i've noticed that when i study a lot im usually happy. So im now studying more than i used to. Only thing im worried about is the maths. I use wikipedia sometimes, but i mostly use the youtube channel DrPhysicsA. Has playlists on GCSE, A level, general relativity, quantum physics, nuclear physics, atomic physics, particle physics and cosmology. He explains it in a lot of detail, so i find his videos a great way to learn.

Thanks for the links.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 1st 2016, 03:28 PM

You be welcomes! Remember that the harder you try, the more you'll succeed. Take a break and have fun when you have to and it's better for you to concentrate on what you like - it'll make you happy!

I might check out that youtube channel sometimes. I've definitely heard about it before

I know that things will work out for ya!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 2nd 2016, 07:42 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself! You are going to do fantastically!

Wishing you all the best of luck!

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Modulus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tony

Re: Insecure and worried about my intelligence - May 2nd 2016, 08:06 PM

You certainly seem to know a lot more physics and maths than I did at 14! You'll be fine

Closed Thread