TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BLAGHT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,982, Level: 12 Points: 6,982, Level: 12 Points: 6,982, Level: 12

People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 25th 2016, 10:51 PM

Hey. If you're a moderator, feel free to move this. I just thought that because it isn't really asking for advice, I was just posting here...

Ok, so I love "offensive" humor. From YouTube, to iFunny, to whatever websites there are, comedians, TV/movies, and real life jokes. I noticed that a lot of the jokes I find kind of imply that the poster has depression. For example, I have seen things saying; "I post edgy memes to hide the fact that I have crippling depression". That's just a lighter example, I don't want to get too dark because I don't want a "Trigger Warning" on my thread

And when I see people either joking about themselves having depression, or just a joke about something dark (suicide, murder, racism, sexism, etc...) I laugh at it. I have bad depression and I have had multiple suicide attempts, but I don't get triggered at all! I know it's a joke, and I laugh! Even a few of my friends know that I joke about my dog that got ran over, and I joke about my suicide attempts. I let them joke a little, too!

I just get triggered when it is being used as an actual insult or I am seriously being told to kill my self. That is pretty rare, too. I need to be ganged up on when people insult me. One or two people can do it, and I just use a smart-ass response to piss them off. I just can't handle 5 or 6 people yelling at me all at once.

I want to ask others if they laugh about dark-humored jokes. How much is too much when it comes to offensive jokes? And how easy are you triggered?

Last edited by obelus; May 28th 2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Moving to Chit-Chat forum :)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 25th 2016, 11:03 PM

I have a pretty dark sense of humor, and I use it to get anger out, particularly at the people who abused me. I use humor to get through my days because laughing is better than crying, however, my dark sense of humor isn't really aimed at anything or anyone else. The rest of my humor is a little different. I laugh at myself and joke with my family all the time (mainly inside jokes). While I can laugh at myself I don't laugh about other people or their experiences.

I don't like jokes about depression, suicide, self-harm, and especially rape or abuse, or anything else that is serious and upsets other people. Sometimes jokes go too far and I've known a few people who have actually used joking as a way to be rude and passive aggressive. They think they can get away with it because they're just "joking" when they aren't. So I do think some things go too far.

How easily I am triggered depends on the day itself because things change a lot for me and it depends on the content. If I'm already upset about something, I am likely to be easily upset about something else but if I'm not I'll be okay. I can hear people's stories for the most part without being upset and I tend to think that I have a high tolerance for it.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 25th 2016, 11:24 PM

I have a pretty dry and sarcastic sense of humor. Most people only understand my jokes if they know me fairly well.

I don't get triggered very often anymore and more often than not I'm the one that triggers me. I don't find jokes about physical illnesses, suicide, self-harm, mental health in general, or abuse very tasteful or funny. I make jokes to get through such things, but not about.

“Peace is power”
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Raven
Pronouns: They/Them

Points: 28,132, Level: 24 Points: 28,132, Level: 24 Points: 28,132, Level: 24

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 26th 2016, 12:40 AM

I have a very sarcastic humour, although I do find a lot of things funny depending on what it is. Bad dad jokes I love. Honestly, sometimes my mother doesn't even understand my sense of humour.

I don't like jokes about serious things like self harm, suicide, depression, racist/sexist jokes, homophobic/transphobic (aka what my mum makes all the time) or mental health. I find them just offensive. That's just me though. People use different kinds of jokes to get through things, so as long as it's not at someone else's expense I'm fine with it.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rawitack

Points: 4,433, Level: 9 Points: 4,433, Level: 9 Points: 4,433, Level: 9

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 26th 2016, 12:44 AM

My sense of humor is probably uhealthily dark but then so is almost everyone elses xD love me some dark humor. Also memes are great for some reason unknown to me. I think they come as a 2 for 1 package with depression tbh lol
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Points: 16,651, Level: 18 Points: 16,651, Level: 18 Points: 16,651, Level: 18

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 26th 2016, 03:01 AM

I am very weird. Sometimes it just depends on the day and what I am currently struggling with. Even though I struggle with suicidal ideation, I still catch myself saying casually "I would kill myself" or "I would die". But the reactions I get encourage me not to say stuff like that, especially people who know my struggles and sometimes take that for a cry for help, and maybe it is. My guilty pleasure? Dead baby jokes. Maybe I'm more twisted than most...

Not a lot of things really bother me on most days, but I absolutely will not tolerate rape jokes. I don't even like comparisons of using the "rape" word as a synonym for destroyed.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 27th 2016, 07:05 PM

I have a pretty peculiar sense of humor. I like dark humor but my taste in it has changed as I've grown older, I like smart dark humor that is meaningful and questions society at large. I don't like offensive for the sake of offensive. For example, I do not like Family Guy and some other mainstream shows that are considered both offensive and funny. I find it distasteful. Something is not funny because it's offensive or dark, but there are ways to laugh around dark and offensive issues, and I do not think all dark comedy is good at this.

As a whole, I enjoy dark, satirical, pretty "stupid" humor. Puns and what not. Some examples could be John Mullaney's standup routine (using his alcoholism, for example, in his routine), my favorite television show Bojack Horseman (if you're a dark humorist, watch it), and the satire website Reductress which acts like a women's lifestyle magazine but makes fun of society and it's super dark and funny. One article, for example, was a "news article" titled "Woman Vocalizes Suicidal Feelings at Brunch but Melissa Talked Over It" which I find hilarious as a depressed person who has frequently not being taken seriously and "talked over" when I'm trying to express my concerns.

something burning?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 27th 2016, 07:20 PM

Traci's first paragraph pretty much sums up my style of humor. I'd also like to add that I get snarky. Especially if someone makes a humorless joke or says something dumb. I also say "oh really, now" with snarkiness.

I have to check out the programs Traci mentioned.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 27th 2016, 07:21 PM

I've always been into very sarcastic and dark humour. While I generally prefer more intellectual forms of humour, I'm not above laughing at crime or toilet jokes when I feel like it. I learned to deal with difficult moments of life using sarcasm. It helped me a lot to not completely fall into despair, and at many stages of life it was my leverage to pick myself up again.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: People With Depression - What Kind of Humor Do You Have? - May 29th 2016, 03:31 PM

I have a dry and somewhat warped sense of humour. Unless the injury is severe, if you fall over and hurt yourself, chances are I will laugh at you.
Closed Thread