TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Unhelpable - May 25th 2016, 11:38 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

When your therapist tells you even they can't help you.

You know then that may be there is no way you're ever going to be 'normal', ever going to be fixed, or free from all this mental torture and pain.

May as well give up now.

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1238370 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Unhelpable - May 25th 2016, 11:57 PM

Your therapist is wrong. You are helpable. He/she is incompetent and thus is trying to make an easy way out.
Find another therapist. You will get better!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Unhelpable - May 26th 2016, 12:11 AM

She's not incompetent, she's honest. And no magician. I am unhelpable

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

x x x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Unhelpable - May 26th 2016, 12:13 AM

I doubt it. No one is unhelpable. People go through bad times, and often it takes a very long time to recover, but they do.
I'm sure you'll get better!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Destroyprophecy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Unhelpable - May 26th 2016, 01:33 AM

Try another therapist there will be one that will be able to click with you and help you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Unhelpable - May 26th 2016, 11:31 PM

She clicked alright, one of the best ones ive had so far. Ive worked with her almost a year, and normally I wouldn't even go this long seeing a therapist. but what she says is true. she cant help me. And ive really tried to make this therapy work, the fault isn't hers its mine and my screwed up head.

this mental torture will never leave me.

x x x

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Grim Reaper
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cutie

May 27th 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sepi_x View Post
She clicked alright, one of the best ones ive had so far. Ive worked with her almost a year, and normally I wouldn't even go this long seeing a therapist. but what she says is true. she cant help me. And ive really tried to make this therapy work, the fault isn't hers its mine and my screwed up head.

this mental torture will never leave me.
I'm sure someone can help you, don't give up hope with it. Maybe you are a little to far for her to help but there is someone out there who will help you I promise you that

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Unhelpable - May 27th 2016, 01:25 AM

What your therapist said isn't wrong, but it isn't right either.

One of the first things I learnt when I had started counselling years ago was that a counsellor can give us all the tools in the world to help us, but it's we ourselves that have to learn how to use them.

I could go on and on telling you that you are 'helpable', but you're the one that has to believe that. Stop allowing people to make up your mind and your thoughts for you and start thinking for yourself. Don't go by what a therapist has told you no matter how good they are, you have the ability to make up your own mind on how you feel, don't let others tell you otherwise.

Learning to help yourself isn't an easy task. It's hard and it's exhausting. The trial and error of which self-help methods work and which don't. It does take a lot of time, patience and a certain degree of determination but if you really want to feel better, this is the part where you ignore the thought of being 'unhelpable', where you stop telling yourself you 'can't' and start telling yourself that you can.

Life is for living, not for losing.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Unhelpable - June 7th 2016, 09:38 PM

I have been doing everything under the sun to help myself. Its not.
I have had extensive types of therapy over the years; loads of different types of medications - which ive now stopped because they weren't helping; I have changed my group of 'friends' I started a new degree doing something which I thought i'd enjoy; the end product just seems so far away. I lost two best friends in the space of 6 months, one day alive next day dead.

I moved out of home despite the fact it wasn't acceptable from family point of view, I lost so many important people, to get away from all the crap going on there, only to end up being raped in my new flat, by someone I thought was a friend. So you tell me how im meant to help myself?

I don't mean to sound nasty, but it is what it is. there is too much hurt and torment in my heart and soul.

x x x

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Unhelpable - June 8th 2016, 01:10 AM

I know that you've something on your mind all the time, but it's better for you if you do what makes you happy. Perhaps you could get a restraining order for you to mix around with a new group of people, and if someone rapes you.. its his fault.. not yours. He was a meanie, and there's no point overthinking things... you deserve better than to go through this experience, and don't ever think that you do not deserve better. You do!

I think that you need to get yourself into better experiences, and you can make new friends and these friends could turn out to be your new bosom buddies. Also, perhaps you could also give yourself more chances to mix around, and not beat yourself up... you have so many good qualities about you and I'm very sure that you're a blessing in many ways.

I too had a lot of torment in my heart and soul, but I think I'm sorta putting up a fight against it now. You can overcome this because we can definitely beat whatever negative experiences / feelings we have.

You'll be well, and I promise you that if you need someone to be around.. I'll be here. You can rant to me anytime!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Unhelpable - June 8th 2016, 01:34 AM

Try a different therapist, maybe someone with a different license. I'm sure you know that there are different types of therapists who work differently and also specialize in different things. The one you're seeing can admit that she isn't the best-equipped professional to help you and while that may be hard to hear, it's good to know so you can find someone better suited to your needs. You've been through a lot and it's going to take awhile to figure out where and how to start working through it all. Do what you can do to help yourself, and don't give up on your own abilities. No one is beyond help.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#12 (permalink)) Old
healing Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Unhelpable - June 8th 2016, 04:42 AM

This is a very familiar feeling and thought to me. I know you feel hopeless, but I promise theres always hope, even when you can't see it. Sometimes you need someone else to see it for you.

I saw multiple therapists before I found one that I clicked with. I felt unhelpable, unhealable, impossible. I encourage you to try a new therapist or therapists. It may take time and determination, but I believe you can do it!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Unhelpable - June 9th 2016, 05:30 PM

Thank you for your responses.

It's my last session with my psychologist next week.
I never go to last sessions of anything. But I feel I need to go to this one. I don't know.

I'm actually quite sad to leave.

What am I going to do?

x x x

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Unhelpable - June 9th 2016, 08:38 PM

He or she would be the best person to discuss that with. The whole purpose of last sessions is closure, saying goodbye to current therapist/group and dealing with feelings around that, and also with the "what now?" questions.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread