TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cognitive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Max

Please look over my complaint to the ER regarding my last visit - July 6th 2016, 08:25 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Today is my birthday and I am completely, legitimately alone. I had a severe panic attack w/suicidal ideation and went to the ER. The doctor was flagrantly disdainful of me after having seen that I'm more or less a frequent flyer of the ER these days for panic attacks and suicidal feelings. anyway heres my letter to the hospital, let me know your thoughts:

"Hello. I wanted to submit feedback regarding my visit to the ER at the south meadows location on 7/5. I was admitted for panic attacks, that day I was having one of the worst of my life. Though the doctor who saw me, William Davis, did nothing wrong in the clinical sense, his bedside manner directly caused an additional, dangerously severe mental breakdown immediately after leaving the hospital. It was clear to me that he considered me a GOMER and that's how he acted toward me while in an incredibly sensitive state. A few quotes verbatim: "This is a you problem, not a me problem". These statements are perfectly correct, I wouldn't argue that, but given the state I was in, and having absolutely no other support system in my life (I rarely leave my home due to my anxiety), these statements made me feel completely unwelcome and actively harmed my mentality in a dangerous way. I had to pull over while driving home afterwards because I was legitimately fearful that I would intentionally crash my car (my last Er visit was also a psych hold for suicidal thoughts, he may have missed that). During that mental breakdown his words "This is a you problem" echoed in my head and affirmed the suicidal feelings in that moment. I didn't tell him that on my previous ER visit I was referred there from west hills after trying to have myself comitted. Perhaps that info would have changed his attitude, but I felt so scolded for being unwell that I simply wanted to leave ASAP.

Again, nothing he said was wrong, it was just stated in a dangerously counter-productive way to my well-being in that state. I understand what he was trying to say, and again I agree with it, but the lack of tact and the breakdown as a direct result are something I feel the need to give you feedback on. The other quote "The ER prescriptions are going to run dry" (with a disdainful intonation), while of course an understandable sentiment, felt more like "you're not welcome here anymore, good riddance"; and while I can appreciate that he was frustrated by my inability to properly manage my medication, he seemed to lose sight that it's not due to willful carelessness but a serious disorder.

Although I can rationalize our experience, and by no means do I blame him for his frustration, I believe this experience will genuinely prevent me from seeking medical attention in any facility in the future, and I fear for the repercussions of that.

Thank you. "

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Please look over my complaint to the ER regarding my last visit - July 6th 2016, 07:07 PM

I want to be clear I say the following with only the knowledge of what you have provided here. Obviously I wasn't there and I don't know how it went down, so I'm limited in what I have to say. That said, honestly I wouldn't approach it from this perspective. I get that he hurt your feelings and it prompted another panic attack. I'm glad you try and see that he was just doing his job and wasn't in the wrong. He wasn't trying to be mean; he was attempting to get you to take further control of your situation, but the way he did it backfired. That's unfortunate.

However, that's not what you need to focus on. Based on what you are reporting you could use a higher level of psychiatric care. It's more irresponsible for him to let you go when you are feeling that suicidal. I also don't understand why you haven't been committed. If need be I would suggest going to a different ER, or next time calling 911 to take you. This needs to be addressed seriously and you need to have access to the help you need. I would suggest finding a psychiatrist to prescribe you medicine instead of constantly going to the ER. A psychiatrist can refer you to the ER in times of emergency and then they're more likely to take you seriously, not to mention they can speak to them about your medications.

Are you in therapy? Sometimes seeing a therapist can help with finding techniques to manage panic attacks. They don't have to control your life, and life can be worth living even though you have panic attacks. I really think seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist will help. You can complain to the hospital about this if you want but I guarantee you those will probably be the steps you take. Hospitals generally don't like people coming in for panic attacks because they feel they can be managed better in another care setting, but they shouldn't turn you away if you are really suicidal. That's highly irresponsible.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Please look over my complaint to the ER regarding my last visit - July 6th 2016, 10:45 PM

I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience when you were trying to get help. I've also been in a somewhat similar situation to this as well.

I also kind of agree that you should probably fix it up a little bit. Tell it how it happened and stick to facts, I know it's very easy to slip in all of the emotions and everything - but they want to know just what happened. Just the facts. At least this is what they wanted to know when I had this experience as well.

I would also talk to a patient advocate if at all possible. That is what I did and they were able to get the situation handled.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jennifer Hawn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jennifer

Re: Please look over my complaint to the ER regarding my last visit - July 7th 2016, 05:10 AM

Hey I am new to this but I have had depression since 2007 and I don't know how to deal with it I have had suicide thought for about a year now and I don't know what to do. My life is so messed up and I don't know how to stop the suicide thoughts going though my head at night. And I think to myself that I could end it right here right now. And I am only 18 and still in high school but all I can think about is being depressed and then I want to kill myself. I don't know what to do.

Closed Thread