TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Should I take advice from my Suicidal Depressed friend? - August 5th 2016, 03:06 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

He's Trying to help me with this Depression which I don't thinks he's helpful because he can't accept he stole my bestfriend he Has Been so Depressed He tried to jump off a bridge got locked up in a Mental Hospital and Still had suicidal thoughts after that even if he's taking Alot of antidepressants Should it take his advice? I've known him for 3 years and the first 2 He's been this happy energetic funny friend I'm still his friend no matter what but I'm afraid he might make me feel worse

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Should I take advice from my Suicidal Depressed friend? - August 5th 2016, 08:14 AM

Hi,

If you ask me, people going through depression really want to help and may know a thing or two about it. Yet sometimes, it greatly depends on the person and how that help is received. If you think that his help might hinder you, trust yourself. It's okay to refuse help when you think it might not be right for you. He may be well meaning, but you know you best. If you feel like this won't be right for you, then trust yourself and your intuition and make the decision based on that. He will always be your friend, no matter how you decide you'd like to respond to his wanting to help you with depression.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Kaveri

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Should I take advice from my Suicidal Depressed friend? - August 5th 2016, 12:02 PM

It might help with answers if we knew what your friend's advice to you was.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Should I take advice from my Suicidal Depressed friend? - August 5th 2016, 02:26 PM

That depends. If you feel his help is actually helping you, then theres no reason not to accept it, but if it makes you feel worse, then you don't have to take his help.
I had a friend like that to and sometimes he was the greatest person in the world for me, since he gave really helpfull advice and just understood me, but other times he draged me down to the point that I ignored his messages for days. And everything turned out fine for the both of us. So whatever you do, just listen to what feels right for you at that moment and everything will be alright

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Should I take advice from my Suicidal Depressed friend? - August 5th 2016, 04:38 PM

It is possible to give sound advice even if you yourself is depressed or mentally unwell. That said I read somewhere that you should only take advice from those who are where you want to be. It makes sense because naturally we want someone who has been successful at something and then giving advice based on reflecting. It can be more practical. However sometimes people who are successful are not good at giving advice and sometimes people who lived with mental illness can give excellent advice and support. It all depends and goes both ways. I wouldn't discount someone just for that.

That said, it sounds to me that you find his advice unhelpful. I agree that it would make things easier to have an example of his advice. You are also under no obligation to follow all his advice. You can pick out shat you find resonates with you.

If you're looking for advice, you can get a second opinion on what you're going through by posting here. You can also reach out to a trusted adult in your life such as a teacher, parent, friend's parent or even a counselor

Closed Thread