Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
almalobana Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
almalobana's Avatar
Name: Emily
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 33
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Getting help? - May 19th 2009, 11:46 PM

So I've been dealing with this for the last four and a half years, and clearly I've not found a way to fix it yet... And I've finally convinced myself/been convinced by a friend that maybe I should see someone about it.
The problem is, I'm currently back from university for the summer. I'm registered with a GP at university, but am now not registered locally. But then I don't know if I need to be registered locally in order to see a counsellor, does anyone know about this?
I'm 19 and living in the UK, if that's relevant at all.
And I wouldn't want my parents to know - obviously if you go through doctors it's all confidential, but I wouldn't want to be calling any helplines 'cause they'd be showing up on the phonebill...
Uh... so yeah. Can anyone help with this? Sorry, this is a really poorly worded thing, but it's late and I'm tired and I can't really re-word it.

Basically: do I need to be registered with a local GP to see a counsellor, if so, what are my other options, short of re-registering?

Seeking submissions now:Sparkbright magazine for poetry and short fiction.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Qwazi Offline
Formely Known as 747
Average Joe
Qwazi's Avatar
Name: Adam
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 111
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Getting help? - May 25th 2009, 01:47 PM

I believe a GP can refer you however you can seek out private counselling as well. If you want counselling on the NHS, you must go through your GP first.


An option you have is one i did, I had exactly your situation. My university wasnt that far train ride from my house (1:30 hour) so I simply used my university GP and travelled when I needed to.

Reregistration of GP takes like, six weeks, but it is another option if you feel that the travelling is too much.

Posting rules mean I cant post links yet, but replace [dot] with .

Formerly Known as 747
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough
Prozac's Avatar

Posts: 3,499
Blog Entries: 108
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Getting help? - May 25th 2009, 02:07 PM

Hey Emily!

Well done on seeking out help! It's a really, really great step to take and a hard one at that. It takes a lot of courage to identify and acknowledge that you have a problem, and reaching out for help for it is one of the hardest things about recovery, but hopefully it will all be worthwhile.

It is possible to see a counsellor privately, so you wouldn't have to re-register with another doctor. If you do want to see a counsellor free through the NHS then you will need a GP referral and I would imagine that you'd have to register with a local doctor, however i'm not entirely sure. I think that the best thing you can do is to call/visit a local doctor and ask them about it.

There are other options rather than the NHS or private counselling though. I know for a fact that the Samaritans have local branches dotted around the UK, so you may want to look into visiting one of their branches. I believe that you can simply walk in and ask to talk to someone [click here]. If you do a simple google search for mental health in your area, there could also be some other centres/groups/services around you which aren't directly related to the NHS, which may be useful.

Seeing as you're 19 any option you take will be confidential wherever you go. Good luck with finding some help, Emily.
Closed Thread


counselling, depression

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.