TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
almalobana Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Getting help? - May 19th 2009, 11:46 PM

So I've been dealing with this for the last four and a half years, and clearly I've not found a way to fix it yet... And I've finally convinced myself/been convinced by a friend that maybe I should see someone about it.
The problem is, I'm currently back from university for the summer. I'm registered with a GP at university, but am now not registered locally. But then I don't know if I need to be registered locally in order to see a counsellor, does anyone know about this?
I'm 19 and living in the UK, if that's relevant at all.
And I wouldn't want my parents to know - obviously if you go through doctors it's all confidential, but I wouldn't want to be calling any helplines 'cause they'd be showing up on the phonebill...
Uh... so yeah. Can anyone help with this? Sorry, this is a really poorly worded thing, but it's late and I'm tired and I can't really re-word it.

Basically: do I need to be registered with a local GP to see a counsellor, if so, what are my other options, short of re-registering?

Seeking submissions now:Sparkbright magazine for poetry and short fiction.
http://www.sparkbright.org

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Qwazi Offline
Formely Known as 747
Average Joe

Name: Adam

Re: Getting help? - May 25th 2009, 01:47 PM

I believe a GP can refer you however you can seek out private counselling as well. If you want counselling on the NHS, you must go through your GP first.

www[dot]nhs[dot]uk/Conditions/Counselling/Pages/Introduction.aspx

An option you have is one i did, I had exactly your situation. My university wasnt that far train ride from my house (1:30 hour) so I simply used my university GP and travelled when I needed to.

Reregistration of GP takes like, six weeks, but it is another option if you feel that the travelling is too much.