TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Unhappy Depressed and Suffering - December 6th 2016, 01:09 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

*Warning* this also has a trigger warning for bullying, so if you don't want to hear about that, click away.
There are so many things that have made sad recently, and any advice for any of these things would be great.

1. My little brother (7) has been bullied at school recently for being "a slow reader" and "not smart enough", and my parents I don't think have taken it as seriously as they should. He is always is weird moods at home, and they just get angry at him, even when he is saying things "I just wanna kill myself". He obviously doesn't know the extent of what he is saying, but it just breaks my heart every time he says it. What to I do?
2. My dad has had over 10 back surgeries in the past 3 years, and it has taken a toll on all of us. He also is severely depressed, but won't come to terms with it. He has also said phrases like "I just want to slit my throat", which also make me extremely scared for his mental well-being. but, he won't get help for himself, what so do I do to help him?
3. I was (somewhat) forced into playing volleyball for another year, and I already hate it. The reason I no longer want to play is because I am simply not having fun in the sport anymore, and my year with it last year was horrible. There were very mean girls on the team (still on my current team) and a verbally abusive coach. I know am stuck in a situation that forces me to play, so how do I make it better?

There are obviously a lot of other things that contribute to my mental health, but these are my biggest problems. All of these things have just put me in a very bad place mentally, and I find myself very depressed. But, I also don't feel comfortable coming out with to my friends and family because of all of the other problems they are facing right now.

So, what do I do about all of this? I very much appreciate you reading this, it really does mean a lot

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depressed and Suffering - December 6th 2016, 03:10 AM

Hey, I'm gabby and I understand what your going through. Feel free to message me for more advice okay, so for about your brother, I think that you should talk to your brother see how he feel about it and then talk to your parents and try explaining what is happening. Now, as in for your dad, I think u should talk to him about his depression and try telling him you care about him and that you are there for him. Lastly, for your team I have a question. if you don't wanna play then why can't you quit or something? Are those girls just mean just because or did something happen,between u guys? I'm glad you came here to get help, since you,didn't feel comfortable with your friends.

Best of hope,
Gabs

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Depressed and Suffering - December 6th 2016, 10:27 PM

If you support your brother it will probably go a long way. I was bullied a lot and then I would come home and get bullied by family members. Having support at home can help quite a bit when it comes to bullying. Spend some time with your brother doing fun stuff and it might help. It won't make the bullying stop but it will let him know he is safe and supported at home. Also, if he is getting bullied a lot hopefully your parents will talk to teachers about it and do what they can to get it to stop.

As for your dad, I am not sure what you can do. You can spend some time with him and show him you care about him but at the end of the day he has to be willing to take the steps to recover from the depression. He should look into therapy and, possibly, getting on medicine if his therapist decides that's what will help. If he won't do those things all you can do is show him that you love him.

If you don't enjoy the sport you should consider quitting and doing something else instead. Join a club at your school and get involved with the students in the club. But, you shouldn't force yourself to play a sport you don't actually enjoy.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cass

Re: Depressed and Suffering - December 7th 2016, 10:06 PM

Hi there,

Sounds like you are going through a tough time!

I would say that with your brother, be there for him. Also, could you sit down with your parents and explain that you are worried about his behaviors and him saying he wants to kill himself? He could probably use counseling, but it's up to your parents to be able to get that for him.

With your dad, I understand. My mom used to say stuff like that and it would worry me. Everything in the end turned out fine. Sometimes people spout stuff out like that when they are upset and they don't always mean it, so hopefully that is the case with your father as well. As said above, you can't really do much until he admits that he has a problem and needs help. You can spend time with him and show that you love and care for him, but that's really it.

Why are you being forced to play volleyball? If it's that bad for your mental health I would suggest talking to someone about not being on the team. Does your school have a guidance counselor that you could talk too? About all of these things. I would suggest doing that, it could be really helpful for you!

Sorry you're having a rough time. If you want or need someone to talk too, feel free to PM me!

Closed Thread