TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thadvan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Depressed - January 20th 2017, 09:20 AM

Hi friends. I feel depressed all the time. Sometimes I couldn't figure out what the real reason is. I usually feel depressed during my menstrual period and during my ovulation period. I know that it is quite normal but can anyone suggest some ways overcome this depression. I just came across a blog which deals with depression. Here are some tips which are mentioned in that blog:
Reach out and stay connected to supportive people
Do things that make you feel good—even when you don’t feel like it
Move vigorously during the day—don’t sit for more than an hour
Learn about the mood-boosting benefits of omega-3 fats
Get a daily dose of sunlight
Challenge negative thinking
Learn more by reading the related articlesDo you have any other tips other than this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Re: Depressed - January 20th 2017, 10:41 PM

My only tip is to try to take your mind off things. Whether that may be taking a nap, going for a walk, listening to music, or anything you enjoy. Just try to distract yourself from the sadness, because it can really take over your life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Depressed - January 21st 2017, 04:35 PM

Hi there,

It's great that you're reaching out to try to find some ways to cope with what you're feeling right now. Articles are a great way of finding some good answers as well as using the forums here.

You're right that mood swings during those periods of the month are quite normal. The things suggested in that blog you read sound like some great ways of helping to overcome that depression! It always helps to get outside of yourself when you feel like this - don't just sit or lay around no matter how much you want to do it. It will make you feel worse. Get up and do stuff. Maybe have a self-care day where you take a nice shower or bubble bath, and then wash your face, clean your room, read a book, or go out with some friends.

You may also want to talk to a doctor about how you've been feeling too if you feel it has been creating too much of a distraction from your daily life. Talk about it with people, like your parents or people you trust.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Depressed - January 22nd 2017, 10:27 PM

Hi there!

I'm sorry you're dealing with depression. Depression can make you lose any motivation which is why I think it's great you are paying attention to any patterns/triggers to your depression, and seeking ways to cope. A mix of negative feelings can definitely occur during that time of the month due to all the hormones. Keep in mind; dealing with that every month, you're obviously a superhero who can beat anything.

The tips you read in the blog are great tips and I encourage you to fit those things into your daily life. Exercise and sunlight releases endorphins and helps "regulate" your mood for lack of a better word. When you don't feel like exercising (even just a 15 minute walk in the sun) is likely when you most need it so it is best to fit at least a small bit of exercise in each day anytime possible.

Reaching out to those closest to you can help a lot because you're able to talk about it and get it off your chest, as well as having support from those you love. You can open up to family, family friends, your friends, a trusted adult - basically anyone you trust and feel close to. You shouldn't have to go through depression alone. If talking about it verbally is hard or scary, you can write it on a note to give someone to ease into communicating about it. If your depression continues and doesn't get better, I encourage you to see a professional.

Expressing your feelings via creative methods or simply journaling is important to refrain from bottling up any difficult feelings. You can do so by writing poems, songs, stories and so on. As well as artistic methods such as drawing, painting and crafts.

You can write down positive things about yourself, and recognize the good parts of each day even if it's small. You can write down goals and experiences you'd like to reach to remind yourself of the future, and that things will get better. When you feel low, taking care of yourself even if it's in small ways can help a lot. Such as taking a bubble bath, enjoying a favorite snack with a favorite TV show etc. As well as practicing good hygiene even though you may not feel motivated - it's part of taking care of yourself and can make a difference.

Stay with those you're closest to, open up when you need and stay hopeful. Even though you may have days where everything seems dark and impossible, don't give up because you can get through it and see much better days ahead, okay? Stay strong and keep moving. Take it step by step, day by day and be kind to yourself.

Take care and feel free to reach out anytime!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread