TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Depression and Suicide (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/)
-   -   school depression. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t149787-school-depression/)

DeletedAccount63 February 3rd 2017 11:42 PM

school depression.

So I have started school and it is going good except I have been having extreme panic attacks and dissociation during class and after. I am in DSPS, Guardian scholars and EOPS. Anyways Britney from Guardian Scholars is really helpful, she will just sit with me, or take a walk and she will just talk to me. Anyways I feel like such a failure because I can't go a day that I have class without having to go to Britney for some reason. I cannot catch a break when it comes to my mental health. I had to drop out last semester because of this shit.I just don't know what to do.

I mean I am bringing my service dog to school now so I hope that helps a little bit.

DeletedAccount16 February 4th 2017 09:54 PM

Re: school depression.

Hi, Frankie!

It's great that you've started going to school again. I'm proud of you for taking that step but I'm sorry you've been dealing with panic attacks and dissociation in class and afterwards. Your mental health is important, and I know school is important to you as well. So I think it's great to find some middle ground. You still go to school, but you're utilizing your support sources by talking to Britney and allowing her to help you; that's great and you shouldn't feel like a failure for doing so. I know feelings will be feelings, and it's hard to ignore them but that's why I want to reassure you that you're not a failure. I see you as quite strong for both going to school and reaching out for help in the midst of your struggles.

Bringing your service dog to school should help a lot. I'm glad you're going to give that a try. Will you let us know how it goes? I was wondering if you had any grounding methods you could resort to in school when you are experiencing dissociation? You could chew gum, keep perfume on you and spray it, touch a rough bracelet you're wearing etc. Using taste, smell and touch could be an effective way to ground yourself and stay present. Some people find it helpful to speak truths to stay in the present. I understand if you don't want to verbally make statements outloud in the middle of class, but if you feel yourself dissociating you could keep a piece of scrap paper handy and write down things about your life to stay in touch with yourself. Such as writing your age, where you live, where you are and so on. I'm not sure if it'd work but it'd be worth a try.

I hope things improve for you, Frankie. You seem like a strong person so I believe you can do this. Don't hesitate to reach out here anytime!

Palmolive February 5th 2017 08:18 PM

Hey Frankie.

Thank you for coming to us here! I hope we can help :)

I think it's brilliant and amazing you have started school again although I can imagine just how hard this must be for you and can relate to this. But you have to remember you ARE doing it which proves you CAN do it. It doesn't matter if you need to go to someone many times a day if it means you are getting the help and support you deserve to help you get through school. And when it comes to having panic attacks and dissociating in class, that is nothing to worry about but you need to find a way to manage it perhaps.

I know grounding myself can help very much with these. So I often go to an empty room with someone I trust (it could even be your service dog) and sit down on a chair and feel the chair with my hands and look around me to keep reminding myself where I am and I am safe and I take several deep breathes, in through my nose and out through my mouth. This can really help settle me. So can carrying a body mist/spray that I find smells comforting to help and even doing the "5 things" game which is where you find 5 things you can see, 5 things you can smell, 5 things you can touch, 5 things you can hear and 5 things you can taste which also helps me. Of course different things help different people so it might be trial and error for a while but don't give up on everything when something doesn't work.

And remember the support is there for a reason and that you are doing great.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

.Brittany. February 8th 2017 07:34 PM

Hi Frankie,

I'm glad that you're starting to bring your support animal. School can be difficult with a mental disorder, especially when you're not used to it. Is there a chance that you can take these classes online? That's what I did for college. I took as many courses online as I could so I wouldn't have to drive the hour to college all the time and then sit through 8 hours of classes..

I hope this helps.

Stay strong,
Brittany

DeletedAccount24 February 8th 2017 09:57 PM

Hey, Essa! I'm sorry you are having some difficult days at school and your mental health is being a nuisance. It's a good thing the school is letting you bring your dog to provide the support you need. I would suggest reaching out to someone this time instead of throwing in the towel and dropping out. I know you can do this, and I know you want to succeed in school. :hug:

DeletedAccount63 February 8th 2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope. (Post 1272313)
Hey, Essa! I'm sorry you are having some difficult days at school and your mental health is being a nuisance. It's a good thing the school is letting you bring your dog to provide the support you need. I would suggest reaching out to someone this time instead of throwing in the towel and dropping out. I know you can do this, and I know you want to succeed in school. :hug:

I'm sorry but some of that sounded rude. I did not throw in the towel and just drop out. I basically had drop out because of medical stuff do to my mental health. You made it sound like I had a hard day and said FUCK IT, i quit.
In my opinion that statement was rude and uncalled for.