TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Distractions from intrusive thoughts? - March 19th 2017, 10:00 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I just made a long rambly post on another sub forum so I won't go into details again, but does anyone have any good techniques for distracting themselves for (at least what I perceive to be) intrusive suicidal thoughts? My headphones broke the other day, and the idea of not being able to drown out my mind whenever I'm walking to uni or something worries me!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
aguy Offline
Jason Bourne in the making

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Distractions from intrusive thoughts? - March 20th 2017, 10:05 AM

Hey,
Well, I use music, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Perhaps you could try journalling? Or exercising. Something one of my previous therapists told me to do was 15 pushups every time intrusive thoughts came up. If I couldn't do pushups (eg being in school), I'd go run a flight of stairs 5-6 times. That not only got my mind distracted, it also released endorphins that raised my mood. Also, I enjoy writing music. Writing poems/songs helps me let my emotions out safely. Perhaps you could try that?

Hope this helps mate.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MerESSAMaid Offline
whyy?

I can't get enough

Name: Essa

Re: Distractions from intrusive thoughts? - March 20th 2017, 03:02 PM

Hey,
I am sorry about your headphones. Is there a way you could go get a cheap pair for right now until you have the money to get a good pair? I know music really helps me with a lot of things.

Somethings I can think of that might help are: writing down your thoughts, we have a blog section on here that you might want to try out. Exercise is another really good way to get feelings out, maybe try and go to the gym if you have a membership. Hanging out with friends is a great distraction from suicidal thoughts.

I know I don't know you but you can always PM/VM me anytime and I would love o chat with you and see if I can help you in anyway.

I hope this helped a little bit.
Your friend,
Essa<3

I LOVE the RAIN because I am a MERMAID, who lives far from the SEA
|Member 2007|Community Mentor|
|PM/VM|

Send a message via AIM to MerESSAMaid Send a message via Yahoo to MerESSAMaid Send a message via Skype™ to MerESSAMaid 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Brittany

Re: Distractions from intrusive thoughts? - March 21st 2017, 02:11 AM

Hi there,

I know how hard it is to cope, especially when music is what you usually turn to. As Essa mentioned, are you able to get a cheap pair for now? Amazon or a local dollar store is usually your best bet.

I also find walking, TV, music, and talking to my friend helps with my suicidal thoughts. Maybe this might help you?

Stay Strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Re: Distractions from intrusive thoughts? - March 22nd 2017, 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies! And actually, a dollar store the shop is probably a good bet, I'm really broke but £1 won't hurt too much!

Closed Thread