TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Unhappy suicidal friend - May 23rd 2009, 01:07 PM

I have a friend who has depression and is suicidal. He is getting help from a phychatrist, and takes medication, but he says none of it works anymore. He's lost all hope and won't try anything else because he says it's too hard. He's convined none of his friends like him. And he's said the only reason he hasn't commited suicide yet is because he can't buy carbon Monoxide yet.

I don't know what I should do about this. I can't even talk to him about it because my friend confided in me about him so I can't get him annoyed at her because she's the only one he will tell everything to.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: suicidal friend - May 23rd 2009, 01:51 PM

Andy,

You're a very good friend for being concerned and have a valid reason too. An important part of a suicidal friend is support. Be there and let him know you're not going to leave. That's a big step. Second, you need to tell him that life is hard, but worth it. If life wasn't so hard, we'd never reach happy or even know the difference. He can make it. Because suicide is a very serious thing, I'm leaving this up to you. If you feel he is a danger to himself and you are worried, telling his parents might be a good idea. I realize he might not life that, but it's better to have him alive than not at all. If his parents don't listen, call 911 and let them know. You're a good friend and he is lucky to have you, remember to take care of your needs too. It's okay to take a break for your own relaxation too. It take a very big person to do this and I wish you the best of luck. Take care.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: suicidal friend - May 23rd 2009, 04:14 PM

Hey Andy.

I'm sorry that your friend has been feeling so depressed and suicidal, it must be really hard to deal with but you've been a great friend for standing by him through this hard time and for being so concerned, you should be proud of yourself.

You seem to be doing the best you can for your friend Andy, you're showing concern and support. When someone is feeling depressed and suicidal it is important that they have people who they can confide in, talk to and trust. If you're there for him when he needs it, that's the most important thing. It is great that you're showing so much concern already and you're trying to help as much as you can. It is also essential that your friend does get the professional help that he needs though, so I would encourage him to keep getting help from his psychiatrist, encouragement can really help.

If you do feel as though your friend is in imediate danger - you could consider telling someone (i.e. a trusted adult).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: suicidal friend - May 23rd 2009, 07:57 PM

The only problem is I shouldn't even know he's suicidal. My good friend told me about it. I think I'm going to try to get him to tell me though. Then I'll be able to do something about it

(#5 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: suicidal friend - May 24th 2009, 02:27 AM

ok first take a deep breath you can help him/her.
second let the person know that you care and would like to help. give them this number
teen suicide hotline24/7 1800-suicide
they can help you i have recomended many other people to this and they all say it helped.

also try this hotline
teencrisisline:1800-448-4663.
maybe this number to
GENERAL CRISIS COUNCILEING:1-800-785-8111

hope this helps
NOTE:ALL HOTLINE SERVICES ARE 100% FREE TO GENERAL PUBLIC

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: suicidal friend - May 24th 2009, 01:46 PM

I'll try to convince him to do it, he's convinced it won't help but if he knew it helped a bunch of other people he may try it

(#7 (permalink)) Old
xoxtammixox Offline
Gilmore Girls ADDICT!(:
Average Joe

Name: Tavia

Re: suicidal friend - May 24th 2009, 03:57 PM

Andy, first of all, I have to say that I feel very sorry for you.
Secondly, I think that you just need to tell him how important he is to you. You know, like try to include him into things. Go skating or bowling or just like walk around the neighborhood with some friends.

I have been suicidal before and, though we all may have our own reasons for thinking about suicide, we always try to detach ourselves from the world we know. Most of us feel unimportant or like we have had negative or no effect on the world around us, or some people think that life is too hard and they want a way out. Either way, it would help your friend if you let him know how important he is to you. Let him know about all the good things he's done for you. Let him know that you are always there and that you are always his friend.

Make him laugh, become good friends. Maybe he will talk to you about his problems, but maybe he won't... maybe you'll erase them. You'll never know unless you've tried.

Good-luck and if you need someone to talk to... I'm always here. Just message me and I'll try to help you.(: Once again, good luck. I'll pray for you, and for him.

Send a message via AIM to xoxtammixox Send a message via MSN to xoxtammixox Send a message via Yahoo to xoxtammixox  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper

Re: suicidal friend - May 24th 2009, 06:50 PM

The best thing you can do for your friend is to remind him that you are there for him and that you love him. Tell him that he means a lot to you, and he is an important figure in your life. He needs that more than anything.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: suicidal friend - May 24th 2009, 09:18 PM

Hey Andy :]
I think it's great that you're concerned about your friend like this, and I know you're in a hard position right now. It's not easy to deal with suicide, and it's not easy to deal with people you care about having suicidal thoughts either. I think that you should try to talk this through with him. Hopefully he'll admit to being a bit suicidal, but even if he doesn't come right out and say that he's feeling suicidal, you can always have a talk with him, maybe tell him he appears to be acting a bit different lately? Make sure you do your best to be there and support him through this, because a lot of times that's what people really need, and he's lucky to have a friend who will be there for him. If you ever feel like he's dangerously close to suicide, I'd talk to his parents, or anyone you can to make sure he stays safe. I know it's a hard thing to deal with, but I really hope you and your friend both find a way to cope. Best of luck

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: suicidal friend - May 25th 2009, 05:16 PM

just be there for him and be his friend i say thats the best thing you can do for him

-Bri
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: suicidal friend - May 25th 2009, 11:42 PM

thanks guys I think I'm going to try to talk to him about it tomarro.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I'll be your hope.
Average Joe

Name: Brook

Re: suicidal friend - May 26th 2009, 01:39 AM

Andy, I am very sorry that you hav a friend that is dealing with this. Sometimes depression can be as bad as the people around people with it than the people with it. More than likely the best thing to do is be there for him. Hang out with him more often, text/call/email him more often, just to let him know that he has you as a friend and you deffinatly don't hate him. And maybe he'll open up to you and tell you and you can help him more directly.
Hope I help~
Good luck!:]

Failure is not falling; it is remainin where you have fallen.
You laugh because i'm d.i.f.f.e.r.e.n.t, I laugh because you're all the s.a.m.e.

Last Self Harm:08/04/11

Closed Thread