TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jennaholt Offline
Not a n00b

Numb.. - May 28th 2017, 07:42 PM

I cried for a good half an hour and suddenly I just feel numb. I can't feel anything. I tried to make myself angry and upset but it didn't work. So then I listened to sad songs but I just had tears in my eyes. But I couldn't feel anything. Its just me sitting there feeling numb with tears flowing down my cheek.I don't know how it's possible to feel numb but "cry". Then even the tears stopped. And now nothing at all. Nothing. I can't sleep. I can't talk to anyone. Hell, I don't even know why I'm down. Didn't feel like a huge reason. It's been a week since I was upset. At first I tthought it was just PMS but now my period is over and I still feel down. Well, not now anyhow. Because there's nothing to feel.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Numb.. - June 2nd 2017, 10:15 AM

Hey,

I'm sorry it's taken a few days for you to get a response here. How are you doing now? I hope you've found a way to feel something.

Numbness happens. I've felt it on occasion myself and it's hard because you don't really know what to do with yourself. Crying is good, even if you feel numb, because it's healthy. If you feel like crying, don't try and figure out the logic behind it because human emotion isn't very logical (i.e. we cry when we're happy, angry, sad, surprised etc.). Instead of pouring energy into figuring out the logistics, try and find things that usually bring you joy and pour your energy into those activities. Watch a happy film or go for a walk to the park and spend a while looking at all of the beautiful things there. Do some art or make something you can be proud of. Call a friend and go shopping or grab a coffee. It doesn't matter what as long as it's something you enjoy. Find things that make you feel good in the moment and focus less on the overall emotion that you're feeling as you have far less control over permanent well being and more control over the moment you're in right there and then.

Perhaps it's an adjustment of the way you're trying to feel. I noticed you've said you tried to listen to sad songs, but sadness isn't the only other emotion you can feel. It's strong, yes, but happiness is just as strong and just as possible, so while it's good to cry if you need to, focus on being content again. It's ok to feel good.

Finally, don't be worried if you're neither happy nor sad sometimes. Like I said, emotions change all the time and I don't believe any one emotion is a permanent one. One or two may be prominent but none are entirely fixed. If you're neither happy nor sad, know it will pass, and that most of the time, people everywhere are in limbo between the two. Of course, numbness is a little different, which is why it's so important to do things you enjoy that make you happy in the moment, because it's quite scary to feel nothing at all.

I hope this helps a bit. Let me know if there's anything else I can do, and feel free to shoot me a PM/VM if you fancy a chat. Keep strong, you can do this.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Numb.. - June 16th 2017, 01:08 AM

Hello! I am not so sure wheher I should reply this or not after two weeks, but I think I will do so!

>> I can't feel anything

First of all I am so sorry you are feeling this way. When depression is more severe numbness can occur. It is something your mind will do to protect you from overwhelming emotions, especially if you are experiencing great sadness. The best way to fix this is not by forcing yourself to experience negative emotions, as these actually cause your mind to hinder them even more! Take sometime for a rest or a sleep, and fight depression directly, as this is the root cause of numbness.

To do so, have you considered any hobbies that you used to love doing? I can imagine how you dont feel happy even when you do enjoyable things right now due to numbness. But think of your mind like a person. When you experience too much sadness it shuts down automatically and choose to not have emotions. It takes time for it to "see" how you are doing happy things and slowly activate your emotions again! Doing things you like is also a good way to make your life happier and slowly fix your depression.

>> I can't talk to anyone. Hell, I don't even know why I'm down.

Your emotions matter! It doesnt matter why you are feeling low but all that matters is that you deserve to feel better than right now. Also, sometimes when we are feeling depressed, we tend to think that we are sad for no reason or even blame ourselves from being sad out of nowhere. But its not! No one deserves to feel sad and deserves help when they feel this way, no matter what! You can talk to us, as we only listen and never judge, and we simply hope we can help you in some way to get out of your numbness/depression!

>> I can't sleep.

Since you mentioned this, let me tell you that sleep deprivation is a reason to have uncontrollable emotions. It does because sleep actually regulates your hormones, including the ones that take care of your emotions. When you lack sleep, the way emotions work can greatly alter and thus all sorts of terrible feelings happens. I know myself how my emotions got much better when I am able to sleep well. If you think that lack of sleep is causing you to feel frustrated and upset, do consider consulting a doctor for medical prescirptions like melatonin. You need enough sleep to fix your emotions!

Remember, you deserve happiness, and no matter how terrible or numb you are feeling right now, there is something more than that for you to experience, including happiness! I truly hope things will get better for you, and please feel free to write thereads again if you need to. We are all here for you!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
Closed Thread