TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

I don't know... - June 15th 2017, 04:47 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My dad is usually the most kind and caring person ever. He's goofy, funny, nice, and an amazing dad. But then there's when he gets mad... He just gets really scary. When he is mad at me he'll yell, things like : I'm not part of the family, or that I'm the worst person in my family. This one time I went to get a flu shot. I had a panic attack because of SH reasons on top of other things. He got so mad that I was panicking that he threw me against a wall, leaving me with a bruise around my eye. On the car ride home he kept telling me to kill myself. Another time when I was much younger, in third or fourth grade, I didn't want to go to school and threw a tantrum. He slapped me across the face and I ended up having a bloody lip. If he gets mad he'll hit me sometimes, but not usually hard enough to cause physical damage. He's still my dad, and a great dad at that. It's only if he gets mad that he does these things. And he doesn't get mad too too often. I honestly just feel like this is all my fault. I don't know anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: I don't know... - June 15th 2017, 05:46 PM

Hey there! I am so sorry to hear about these incidents, but I do hope things will get better for you over time.

>> I honestly just feel like this is all my fault.

First of all, none of these are your fault! I understand the guilt you must have felt that you did something wrong and get punishments, and even more guilty that you are writing to us about it as it seems like its okay to be punished this way. But its not! From what I see here your father has been really scary when he is mad and can be abusive towards you. Even if you did something wrong he should never beat you up this badly. Please dont feel that its your fault, it can be your fault for doing wrong things, but its never your fault to have these abuses. Most importantly, the whole point of education is to learn from mistakes, not to just punish for doing wrong things, and often we do better after we make mistakes! So even you done wrong things, dont beat yourself up too harshly because everyone make mistakes!

I really hate to say this to a child about their parent, but I must say that your father isnt really doing great in handling his emotions. I know how confusing this must be for you, that you fear of him at times when he is mad, yet you also love him so much. As an outsider I will definitely say that your father is at fault for being abusive. But as his daughter, does the fact that its his fault really matter to you? Is it so important to count every mistakes each family members had made? I know you have a big heart and definitely a caring and loving daughter. From what I read I know how much you love your father. I am not going to tell you to tolerate with the abuse, but when other people hit us we hate them, but when the person is your father do you really need to hate him back? Love is strong and sometimes forgiveness can fix everything!

This is where you can try to think about your father. I know it seems like everything is his fault, but have you wondered maybe he had his own problems too? I know it is hard to be this understanding when he treated you this way. But you said he is a loving person, I am sure he is actually a good person too! Maybe he is having struggles with emotions, and perhaps you can play your role in supporting him! I know you need him, but do realize he actually also needs you too!

What can be a better time for you to talk to your father, when Father's Day is 3 days from now? Perhaps you can write a letter about how you love him, how you forgive him (i hope you do!), how you wish he loves you more, and how you hope he understand that he shouldn't hit you this way even when you make mistakes. Open up to him directly and tell him how you felt sad and hurted because of the mistreats, but let him know that you want to make it better. Ask him what is it that he is mad at you, and promise that you will work on that to be better. And on the other hand, let him know that you want him to improve in controlling his anger, the deal works both ways! Tell him that you are always there for him and want to help him if you could! Ask him whether he is having stress or depression that causes him unable to control his anger well. Just want to let you know that even if you cant help with his problems, the intention of willing to help him itself will allow him to slowly open up and talk to you about it, and with love and patience, I hope he will slowly get better and realize what a loving and caring daughther you are!

Everything takes time to fix, dont give up on your father because you love him, okay? I am sure he will be a great father like he had been once he is no longer at loss, and I hope you and your father will have happy times again in future!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: I don't know... - June 15th 2017, 06:01 PM

Thank you so much. I talked to him and everything seems to be better. thanks again!!!!

Closed Thread