TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xcharlie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I dont know what to do. - September 22nd 2017, 05:10 AM

I am pretty sure I am depressed. About 99.9% sure. And I dont know what to do about it.

I want to get help, but I dont want to tell my grandma (my mom died and my dad is not a good.. caregiver? so, i live with my grandma and have my entire life) but she will make me talk to her about it, and she will blame herself. I dont want her to do either of those things.

I am thinking of going to my high school guidance counselor? With a friend, because its hard for me to talk to adults without help ( really hard for me to talk to anyone, except friends I've already known) But I dont know if thats the best option. I just feel so lost and I dont think I'll ever find happiness, because Im too scared to ask for help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lollipops Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I dont know what to do. - September 22nd 2017, 06:51 PM

I'm your age and I know that when I got help at school, I would have prefered it with a friend, but that was when it was not so bad. I think a friend would have helped. Talk to a teacher you trust at school to help arrange some help for you.
Talking helps some people better than other though, but you'll never know until you try.
Let me know how you get on x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I dont know what to do. - September 23rd 2017, 07:02 AM

I've found it can be very helpful to find someone who actually understands these things and knows how to listen and what to do, which is often to just listen without trying to "fix" my problem, as it's the listening itself that is the cure (sometimes).

Finding the adult who knows about depression... There's a surprising number of them out there! They either don't tell, (not something they want to advertise), or, they are better now, but they have been through it, so they do have the experience and knowledge.

Still, hard to know who to talk to!

Especially when you're 14 and they are much older!

One leading question might be, "If I talk to you, will you be required to tell my parents?" (There may be various laws depending on where you are. Sometimes a professional person is safe to talk to. Or they might be required to tell your parents everything. Probably not though. Who knows? They should at least be willing to answer that question.)

Anyway, sometimes the best help comes from someone else's parents, if you know any other students, you can ask if their parents might be good to talk to.

Sometimes a church pastor is good to talk to. Again, just depends on who the person is.

Sometimes a school counselor is good to talk to. (After all, they went into that profession because they want to help kids, and they may be more likely to be well trained in understanding these types of problems and dealing appropriately and effectively with them.)

(Sorry I can't think of any other ideas at the moment. Here is always a good place to come if you'd like to chat with anyone.)

Closed Thread