TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Who can I tell? - October 11th 2017, 08:41 PM

For about the past month, I have been feeling depressed and even suicidal. But, this past weekend, something happened and I just put me even lower than I was, which I didnít even think was possible. I am lower than rock bottom, which I didnít even know was a place people could be at. But, the people I would usually tell have their own things going on and I donít want to draw attention to myself, but I also recognize I need help.

My most stable friend, who I tell most things to, is going through a lot right now because her dad just had a stroke. My other really close friend thinks heís depressed and wants to go to therapy for treatment. These are my closest friends, and I donít want to draw attention to myself when they are both going through things too. But, I also donít want to tell my parents because there are some things they just need to know, and this is one of those things.

Should I try to tell my friends about what Iím going through? Or should I just keep all of it to myself?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Who can I tell? - October 11th 2017, 08:50 PM

Hey there,

It might be possible for you to talk to the school psychologist. It is my understanding that as long as the student is not a danger to themselves our others the school counselor does not have to talk to the parents. I know plenty of people who have gotten help from the school psychologist. If you are worried about them talking to your parents you could ask them if they would have to disclose. They are usually pretty open about what would result in them having to talk to parents. I know that sometimes the school psychologist will feel that the student needs more help than they can get from them. In that instance they will try and get the student to talk to their parents but I don't believe they can force the issue.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hanna Banana Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Hanna

Re: Who can I tell? - October 11th 2017, 09:04 PM

I think the idea that your friend who might b fighting depression has might be the way for you to go as well. Find a therapist to talk to. Sure this would involve getting your parents involved but you really don't have to get into details with them. Just tell them that you think it would be best to find a therapist so you can talk with confidentiality to work on some issue to help you through some things. If your parents are looking out for you best well being and you present it to them that way then they should be fine with that. I hope you find some answers, but I definitely would not keep in all inside and just to you.

"Every challenge is an opportunity to prove to the world that you are, Extraordinary."~ Lzzy Hale of Halestorm

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Who can I tell? - October 12th 2017, 06:48 AM

"Misery loves company." Sounds like a cliche, but actually, miserable people tend to do better when they are with other miserable people, as they end up supporting each other.

There's probably another option of someone you could tell that haven't thought of yet. The people to tell are the people who will understand and know what to do.

People understand because they've been through it themselves, or they've been well trained to understand because it's their profession.

So anyone who's been through this clinical depression thing will fully understand.

And anyone like a doctor should understand. Especially a psychiatrist doctor, since this is what they specialize in.

A psychologist (talk therapist) may also understand. Some do. Depends.

How to find someone who will understand? See if there's a local NAMI affiliate in your area. Possibly the school has a counselor. You could just randomly call any psychiatrist office and talk with the staff. The receptionist may know a lot about the subject.

It's hard to reach patients under 18 because of legal restrictions. (Everyone's afraid of getting sued.)

See if there's a local DBSA Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance in your area. Somebody's got to know where the people are who will understand and can help.

Best wishes!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread